Cannot view photos via XBMC

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

Cannot view photos via XBMC

Postby GeordieJedi » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:34 pm

Hi all.

I have an unusual/annoying issue. I cannot view a lot of my photos on my Ras Pi (when trying via XBMC).

I can view some photos, but not others. TBF they are contained quite a few levels down (dirs / sub dirs).
The only common factor seems to be the size.

Some of my smaller sized photos (approx 3 MB) seem to be able to be viewed fine.
However a large No of my photos taken with my newer camera can be quite a bit larger than that (5-8 MB+)
Once I reach 5 MB, I seem to lose the ability to view these photos.

So is there a hard limit on the file size of the photos that I'm able to view using (either the Ras Pi and or via XBMC) ?

Useful info -
Raspberry Pi (model B - 256 MB of ram)
NAS = Synology DS410J

TIA for any help or advice.
GeordieJedi
LXF regular

Postby dandnsmith » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:40 am

OK, so you have an early RPi, but which distro are you running?
The first thing which would be asked for in a case like this would be debug logs to examine for clues (probably a lack of memory, as a guess) - none of my pics are that large (by choice).
I'd be suggesting an appropriate forum had you given the distro (eg stmlabs for raspbmc)
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby purplepenguin » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:11 am

I tried running Rasbmc for a while on a model B with 512 ram and found the whole experience very frustrating. I had similar issues with photos. Mine took ages to load but I could view them eventually. Does XBMC cache photos in advance or on the fly?) Personally I don't think the PI is up to running something like XBMC.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Location: On a different forum because I'm fed up with the swearing and other rubbish from *01UK

Postby dandnsmith » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:14 am

I have yet to see complaints about pic display in the raspbmc forum - it doesn't give me problems, but then I use small pic sizes compared to some of yours. Its also possible that not many users want static pic display, as most of the problems relate to videos or music.
I think any caching is done on-the-fly.
Are your pics local to the Pi, or are you accessing them across a network (especially wireless)?
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Return to Help!