Changing router ip address broke VPN server

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Changing router ip address broke VPN server

Postby pk_fox » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:15 am

Hi all, I changed the ip of my router from 192.168.1.1 to 10.10.1.1 today and as my home client pc's use dhcp all went pretty smoothly. The only thing I have a problem with is my VPN which runs on one of my boxes, it's an Openvpn server and I've changed all the references to my old ip address in the server.conf file and restarted the server. The VPN works fine and all my clients can connect to it but I've somehow screwed up because none of the clients have internet access while connected to the VPN. I can't for the life of me think what I could have done. Any ideas guys ?
We can't stop here, this is bat country. Hunter S Thompson RIP.
pk_fox
LXF regular

Postby MartyBartfast » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:07 am

Have you got firewall rules on the router restricting which networks can access the Internet?
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby pk_fox » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:41 am

MartyBartfast wrote:Have you got firewall rules on the router restricting which networks can access the Internet?

Hi and thanks but no I don't have any firewall rules, the unclear part for me is as I've changed from a 192.168.1.1 subnet to a 10.10.1.1 one do I need to change the subnet mask from 255.255.255.0 to something else ( in the openvpn.conf file )
pk_fox
LXF regular

Postby pk_fox » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:15 pm

Thought I'd try rebooting the VPN server and Bingo it works - I hate things like this. I noticed an entry in the client VPN logfile which said "ROUTE: route addition failed using CreateIpForwardEntry" and this has mysteriously disappeared from the log too - ah well at least it works.#
pk_fox
LXF regular

Return to Help!