Sonicwall Debian DHCP problem

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Sonicwall Debian DHCP problem

Postby pk_fox » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:43 am

Hi all, I have a Sonicwall TZ150 router which has the ability to issue static DHCP addresses bound to MAC addresses. This setup on my home network works very well except for one server which has Debian Wheezey on it. It always gets a dynamic ip address which is usually 192.168.1.185, network manager is disabled so it's not that and if I change the /etc/network/interfaces file to make it use a static ip it works but I don't want to do that. Any idea as to why this is happening ?
We can't stop here, this is bat country. Hunter S Thompson RIP.
pk_fox
LXF regular

Postby dandnsmith » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:23 am

Have you checked that the value that wheezy has for your MAC is the same as that which the router sees (and the address you reserved).

I discovered, by chance, that a view from one local system of my routers MAC differs from the one the router reports by the final bit. No idea why, and it doesn't seem to affect anything operational.
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby pk_fox » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:21 am

dandnsmith wrote:Have you checked that the value that wheezy has for your MAC is the same as that which the router sees (and the address you reserved).

I discovered, by chance, that a view from one local system of my routers MAC differs from the one the router reports by the final bit. No idea why, and it doesn't seem to affect anything operational.

Hi Dan, I'm pretty sure the MAC address matches but I'll check - thanks for your reply
pk_fox
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:03 am

Also check that the IP address you want to use hasn't previously be allocated to a different MAC address. Turning on any logging options in the router may help.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby pk_fox » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:52 pm

nelz wrote:Also check that the IP address you want to use hasn't previously be allocated to a different MAC address. Turning on any logging options in the router may help.

OK thanks Nelz
pk_fox
LXF regular

Return to Help!