Error – Fix Windows detection issues – LXF187 P35 [ANSWERED]

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Error – Fix Windows detection issues – LXF187 P35 [ANSWERED]

Postby ToffeeCrisp » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:31 am

The “Fix Windows detection issues” guide seems to have a typo.

The magazine says “sudo gdisk dev/sda”

But I think this should be “sudo gdisk /dev/sda” i.e. the “/” was missing...

---- ---- ---- ----

The article on “Handeling UEFI & Ubuntu” was fantastic, at last I got my Dell XPS 13 to dual boot Windows 7 with Linux Mint 17... Very happy now :D

Thanks
ToffeeCrisp

Postby Listicath » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:45 am

I had tried to set up a dual boot on my windows 8 Dell Inspiron using Ubuntu 13.04 last year, which had kind of worked, but had all sorts of problems, with having to jump through hoops on each attempt to boot into Ubuntu.

I thought this article was exactly what I was looking for, to fix the booting and fix the other problem of the two OSs being unable to see each others' partitions.

The install from the DVD was unable to see the Windows partition, so I followed these instructions. Unfortunately, even realising that the "/" was missing didn't help, as it wiped out all the partitions on my hard drive.

So now I have the fun of restoring from backup and I don't think I'm going to bother with a dual boot this time.
Listicath

Re: Error – Fix Windows detection issues – LXF187 P35

Postby ChrisThornett » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:53 pm

ToffeeCrisp wrote:The “Fix Windows detection issues” guide seems to have a typo.

The magazine says “sudo gdisk dev/sda”

But I think this should be “sudo gdisk /dev/sda” i.e. the “/” was missing...

---- ---- ---- ----

The article on “Handeling UEFI & Ubuntu” was fantastic, at last I got my Dell XPS 13 to dual boot Windows 7 with Linux Mint 17... Very happy now :D

Thanks

Good spot. Fortunately the screenshot includes the '/' but sorry we missed it.

Going to be installing Mint 17 on a Windows 8.1 system so hopefully I won't end up wiping my partitions too...
ChrisThornett
Site admin

Postby Marrea » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Listicath wrote:The install from the DVD was unable to see the Windows partition, so I followed these instructions. Unfortunately, even realising that the "/" was missing didn't help, as it wiped out all the partitions on my hard drive.

When I read the Escape Windows article I looked at those brief instructions (Fix Windows detection issues) somewhat apprehensively as there was no explanation at all of the consequences of running those commands. The very words "wipe the GPT" sounded a bit foolhardy to me. There is absolutely no way on earth I would have run those commands without knowing a lot more about what they actually did.

I have recently set up a Windows 8.1/Ubuntu 14.04 dual boot on an HP laptop. Ubuntu's installation screen didn't detect Windows but I simply chose the "Something else" option - to manually create root and swap partitions in the space I had previously made available by shrinking the Windows C: partition in Windows Disk Management. Fortunately for me, after the installation had completed and the laptop rebooted, the Windows boot manager was available as an option on the Grub menu, so Ubuntu obviously must have detected Windows at some stage in the proceedings.
Marrea
LXF regular

Windows Detection on HP

Postby Swabbie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:59 pm

this question is posted on the Help forum so I've deleted the text ;-) towy71
Swabbie

Postby towy71 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:33 am

please don't post the same question to different forums :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Swabbie » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:36 am

towy71 wrote:please don't post the same question to different forums :roll:

Sorry about that as I intended to go back and delete the original post as I thought it applied somewhere else and did not for some reason.
Swabbie

Return to Discussion