Sticking it to the Man

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Sticking it to the Man

Postby heiowge » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:24 pm

I love "sticking it to the Man". No, that's not a gay thing. I mean, playing the system.

My son and I love the Lego games. We have all the Lego Star Wars, Batman, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings, Marvel etc games. Last night my son spent his birthday money buying Lego the Movie game.

But now it's a steam game. All the old lego ones were standalones. I could install them on my machine AND his. No longer. They require a steam account to activate. His machine deliberately has no internet connection.

So.... I plugged in a wifi dongle, downloaded and logged into MY steam account then set the game to install from Steam after entering the code. Steam then connects the game with MY install. I had to confirm a change of computer first, but it was ok.

Steam installs the game to his machine, then I pull the internet and force it to play in offline mode. When I get my machine working, I'll just switch the active PC to my one and install from steam to the new PC, giving us 2 copies!!! Damned if I'm buying the game twice.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 17.1 MATE and Win7

HP mini, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 17 MATE
heiowge
LXF regular

Return to Off Topic