"FreeAudioConverter.exe." bug.

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

"FreeAudioConverter.exe." bug.

Postby catgate » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:54 pm

I have just acquired another silly problem.

I use Google as my web connection.
Today I have started getting a pop-up offering me the opportunity to download FreeAudioConverter.exe.
This happens when I use a bookmark rather than typing in an address.
The pop-up claims to be from http://downloadcdn.betterinstaller.com
In my simple mind I imagine that from somewhere something has worked itself into my Bookmarks operation, but since I do not and can not run “ .exe” files I fail to see why this thing should appear, and I also am at a loss as to how to get rid of it.
I would much appreciate some guidance as to how to get rid of the thing...please.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:54 pm

It's not a bug, it's malware or worse. Clean the browser cache and delete your profile for starters. Scan your system with the Sysrescuecd tools, fix whatever it comes up with.

http://www.sysresccd.org
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:26 pm

Thank you for that Dutch_Master.

I have cleaned the browser cache but which profile should I delete?

I downloaded and burnt to disc the Sysrescuecd several days ago (for my other problem listed only a couple of items away).

I am going to have to spend some time trying to understand it, because from what I have read so far on http://www.sysresccd.org I feel like a stranger in a foreign land.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:35 am

The profile you'd be looking for is in your /home directory. It's a hidden file, so enable viewing of those in the file manager. Assuming you use Firefox or Mozilla it'll probably be in the ~/.mozilla directory. Make sure you make a backup first! There's a folder marked Cache in there too, empty it if not done so already.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:05 am

He did mention in the fist post he uses Chrome DM so that profile will most likely be ~./chrome or similar not using My linux chrome instance ATM so can't check directly ;) I would not worry to much catgate it looks to be malware for Windoze so it won't bite so deleting your profile should be the end of it.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:50 pm

Thank you both, DM and loc1950, for you replies.
I am not using Chrome, I am still on Firefox.
I'm not one for being at the “Cutting Edge”. I'm more conservative than Margaret Thatcher. I stuck to Windows 98SE for years until the wheels started to drop off before switching to Linux. I looked at other distros and settled on Ubuntu because it seemed as though it would need less knowledge of code and syntax and less of the fighting off of unwanted viruses and trash. It has done so and so I am left rather wanting in the area of poking about “round the back” and as an octogenarian, raised on DOS and Basic, I am floundering with this problem.

In Home/Mozilla/Firefox is a file “profile.ini” containing :-

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=vt4d7ljz.default

When I go into vt4d7ljz.default folder I am faced with 10 folder and 50 files one of which is called
_CACHE_CLEAN_ . It's total content is the number 1 on the top and only line.

“Make sure you make a backup first” What part, or all, of which should I back up?

I am stuck.
I wonder if there is a Guru or Witch Doctor in the East Riding??
Last edited by catgate on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:19 pm

I'll assume you mean firefox not google chrome.

rename the .mozilla folder to something like .mozilla-old

Startup firefox does it work ok - you will be without any of your bookmarks and saved site logging's but you'll know if it fixed or not.

Rename back if not.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:41 pm

Thank you for you reply Ram.
Ram wrote:I'll assume you mean firefox not google chrome.

You are quite correct. It just shows what a flap I am in. I will edit my post containing my error.
It's time I had my cocoa and went to bed. I will go another couple of rounds with it on the morrow,
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:00 pm

catgate wrote:
I wonder if there is a Guru or Witch Doctor in the East Riding??

Now here is a very strange thing, which leads me to think that there might be a Genie in the area.
When I fired up the box of tricks this morning both my bête noires had disappeared!!! Gone (so far) without trace.
I am not aware of doing anything that would have this effect. In fact, after my last post last night, I shut down as normal and crept into my cot.

During the day I came across "Bleachbit", which I thought might be a worthwhile addition.

Any advice, or comment, would be appreciated.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Return to Help!