AdFly

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

AdFly

Postby catgate » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:58 am

Good day all.
Well it's not good really, otherwise I would not be seeking help again.
This time I seen to have been "attacked" by "adf.ly". Just where it has come from (and how) is a mystery to me, but bigger is the mystery of how to "Swat" it and render it dead.

A second problem that has cropped up concerns eBay and Paypal. The detail is as follows:-
I have an item in my watched list and when I went to buy it I could get right down to the point where I push the blue button to "pay now" through Paypal but then all progress stops. It just ignores me.
I have tried to get through to eBay but they seem to have built a very strong impenetrable wall around themselves.

Since both these things seemed to appear around about the same time they may be linked, but then again it may be yet another example of "Sod's Law" in action.

So, may I ask for some advice please, and thank you in advance, just in case I suddenly disappear up my own hard drive.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:14 pm

What browser?
I had that with Firefox after an update, switched to Chrome.
I never got around to finding out why, but it hung on a couple of other sites at the same time, one of them was a bank site.

Edit: might be because I use adblocker
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:14 pm

Always keep a copy of this handy, just in case (which is, in your case :roll: )
http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:22 pm

Thanks for the reply Wylie.
I am using Firefox with Adblock Plus, and until less than a week ago I did not know anything about AdF.ly/adf,ly (or whatever).
I added Mozilla's AdF.ly Skipper a couple of days ago and that did nothing for me.
Did you have a problem with eBay/Paypal?
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:34 pm

Dutch_Master wrote:Always keep a copy of this handy, just in case (which is, in your case :roll: )

Thank you for that Dutch_master.
I did not know this existed. I should have had one a long time ago. It looks like a very good thing for an old duffer like me, although in my present predicament I am thinking of stable doors and bolting horses. I shall have to catch them and close the door before I can do any cloning.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:41 pm

Dutch_Master wrote:Always keep a copy of this handy, just in case (which is, in your case :roll: )

Well, kind sir, I downloaded the System Rescue CD and am now left trying to fathom the depths of its intricacies and inner secrets. It certainly looks like I am going to need a wand, a pointy hat, a black cat and a couple of crystal balls.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:30 pm

adf.ly
is adfly, which is an advertising app. ( I expect you knew that)

Yes, paypal stopped working, as did tesco bank.
On Chrome they work.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:21 am

catgate wrote:Well, kind sir, I downloaded the System Rescue CD and am now left trying to fathom the depths of its intricacies and inner secrets. It certainly looks like I am going to need a wand, a pointy hat, a black cat and a couple of crystal balls.
Well, I did put up a small how-to on it, back in 2011 :P ;)
http://www.linuxformat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13778
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:09 pm

Thank you for that Dutch_Master and wyliecoyoteuk.

I have decided to make a safe copy of my home folder before I take the plunge and start any terminal work (I think terminal is a very well chosen word).
Having made the decision I discovered that I only had one external drive big enough and that needed reformatting (old M$) so rather than risk a repeat of my last catastrophe when doing what the big boys do (working without a safety net) I shall have to get hold of another external memory.
In the mean time I have used my spare/reserve machine to get round the paypal problem.

Until I get one I shall try to get my tired old brain round the matter of the instructions in SystemRescueCd Homepage. I still think in DOS and Basic.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:18 pm

System Rescue Cd has a boot option to boot into a desktop.

You don't have to use a terminal, even when it is the best tool for the job.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby catgate » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:25 pm

nelz wrote:System Rescue Cd has a boot option to boot into a desktop.

You don't have to use a terminal, even when it is the best tool for the job.

Thanks for that nelz.
I am beginning to see you as a reincarnation of St. George the Dragon Slayer.(':D')
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Return to Help!