Coverdisk: Ubuntu and Antix in LXF 179 [SOLVED]

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Coverdisk: Ubuntu and Antix in LXF 179 [SOLVED]

Postby fede » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:04 pm

The info looks a bit terse:

1. It says that both 32 and 64 bit Ubuntu is included, but when I tried to run the DVD on an antique Asus eee (32 bit) I got a black screen, which suggests that it was trying to run the 64 bit version, and there didn't seem to be any option to choose between the two.

2. I then tried Antix (I used to be a Mepis fan), but when clicking on Install it asks for administrator's password, which is nowhere mentioned (I tried the usual stuff "password" "admin", "administrator", "antix", but eventually gave up). That's really weird for a live install disk.

I know this is antique, but over here, I haven't seen 180 yet...
fede

Postby nelz » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:29 pm

1) The main headline on the disc pages is "Ubuntu 13.10 (64 bit)". It does not mention 32 bit because there is no 32 bit version.

2) The AntiX page on the DVD states
When installing, you will be asked for the administrative password. This is "root".

You should always look at the relevant pages on the DVD as they often include information that there was not space to include in the magazine. For example, the Ubuntu page states
Note: This is the 64 bit version of Ubuntu 13.10, it will not boot from or install on 32 bit hardware.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby fede » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:54 am

nelz wrote:1) The main headline on the disc pages is "Ubuntu 13.10 (64 bit)". It does not mention 32 bit because there is no 32 bit version.

2) The AntiX page on the DVD states
When installing, you will be asked for the administrative password. This is "root".

You should always look at the relevant pages on the DVD as they often include information that there was not space to include in the magazine. For example, the Ubuntu page states
Note: This is the 64 bit version of Ubuntu 13.10, it will not boot from or install on 32 bit hardware.

Thank you. My bad. I agree I should have done more homework :(
fede

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs