How much I Love Windows

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

How much I Love Windows

Postby Nuke » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:45 pm

I have just spent > 2 hours trying to get round a system bug in Windows XP, on someone else's PC. Seems that a Microsoft update a few months ago has caused the update mechanism itself (an app called wuauclt.exe running under svcsync.exe) to choke the CPU at nearly 100% and hogging memory for hours on end (and maybe for ever). The PC was almost unusable, like taking 3-4 minutes of disk-thrashing just to open a file. Looking on the web, it seems to be a widespread and recognised problem.

Yet the web was of dubious help. Googling for like "svcsync problem" led to sites that said like :-

"You need PC Spring Clean (tm)! Solve all Windows [insert search term here] problems!!" "FREE DOWNLOAD NOW!!!" [on a big green button].

How the hell do I know this would not download Trojan malware? Such sites just do not have the ring of trusworthiness that Linux help sites do.

Or web sites that tried to sell me a "Solution" for $25 (yes $$), trying to make money out a shortcoming that should not be - no freedom of knowledge in the Windows world.

I did find Windows user forums, but they gave wildly conflicting advice, some of which was no doubt knowledgable but the majority was clearly of a pretty poor standard, with the majority of posters clearly having no qualms about spouting off about something they knew nothing about. Again, I could get no feeling of confidence that I can get from Linux forums. Perhaps if I spent more time on Windows forums I would get better feelings, but the standard of comments is still low - eventually BTW I took a solution I had seen repeated several times, but don't know if it works yet as this problem builds over time (they said).

Even trying to follow the advice was difficult because the PC was so sluggish - I had to resort to the command line just to move stuff about.

But what of Microsoft themselves? No-one in the forums could say that MS was doing anything whatever about this bug (the solutions were all home-brewed), and only few even grumbled about that fact, despite XP being meant to have support until April 2014. Crying out loud - don't MS test their own updates before releasing them?? The users seemed resigned to MS's indifference - So much for proprietory systems being "more professional" than open source. With (is it?) hundreds of millions of PCs around the world still on XP (including institutions like the NHS) why isn't the World having a riot over this? If I had to use Windows I think it would drive me crazy.

I am computer literate. What does the average person do? Oh, I know - toss the PC in a skip and buy a new one (with Windows 8 installed).

While I was still suspecting malware I downloaded a copy of AVG for Windows from their own website - it was called AVG 2014. An hour later I got a pop-up (among many other annoying ones) telling me that my copy of AVG needed updating! Don't we just love Windows! :roll:
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:28 pm

A sysadmin who runs a Windows shop told me that most of the so-called 'updates' to XP don't correct anything anymore; they simply zap the offending code.

As for AVG 2014 needing updating, I recently removed some Trojans from a Windows computer using System Rescue and they pointed out that whatever version I had ClamAV would need updating, I assume because updates are not applied continuously but collectively at intervals.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Re: How much I Love Windows

Postby Dutch_Master » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:29 pm

Nuke wrote:[....]I am computer literate. What does the average person do? Oh, I know - toss the PC in a skip and buy a new one (with Windows 8 installed).
Which is exactly what M$ and their hardware partners (Dell, anyone? :roll: ) want them to do. So, in order to speed up the transition process (it took waaaayyyy too long for M$ to have all those Win-98SE users switched to XP :P) M$ has now reverted to crippling XP if and when a user gets bitten by the inevitable bug that is Win-OS... :evil: :roll:

Well, yes: it would be funny if it wasn't so patheticly obvious :roll: Or am I now officially a cynic. Or paranoid... :shock: :twisted: :mrgreen:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Re: How much I Love Windows

Postby Nuke » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:48 pm

Dutch_Master wrote:
Nuke wrote:[....] What does the average person do? Oh, I know - toss the PC in a skip and buy a new one.

Which is exactly what M$ and their hardware partners (Dell, anyone? :roll: ) want them to do.

The irony of it is that the customer comes away perfectly satisfied. The salesman told them a new PC with a faster and more-multi-cored CPU would be faster and Lo-and-Behold it is faster! But, for most purposes, only because the new PC is malware-free (for the time being). In fact the old one, if disinfected, would have been more than adequate for their Facebook browsing and for word-processing the occasional letter.
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby MadTux » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:25 pm

Well, I just got into real trouble with the school Admin after some stupid anti-virus software on XP said it found viruses in some system folder while I was logged in, and he suspected me . . .

(of course, it didn't help that I have installed a different file manager to have a bit more freedom, and spend most of my time in a Cygwin environment which I managed to set up :twisted: )
" Drinking the wrong kind of alcohol can cause headaches or death " -- from my chemistry class
MadTux

Looks like MS are fixing it.

Postby Nuke » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:34 am

It looks like they are fixing it, after it "has plagued some users for years"

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/14/01/18/0150222/microsoft-quietly-fixes-windows-xp-resource-hog-problem

So it wasn't just a figment of my imagination.
Nuke
LXF regular

Return to Other OS