Epson WF-2530 problem

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Epson WF-2530 problem

Postby catgate » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:20 pm

Now here's a funny thing.
A couple of months ago I had to return an XP-102 printer to Argos due to its reluctance to conform to its purpose in life. This life having been something like a few weeks in length. I declined the offer of a straight replacement with a new XP-102 and instead handed over many more pounds and took away a new WF-2530.
This has worked very nicely until this morning when the scanning part of things decided it was not connected to the computer. It scanned a couple of photographs yesterday without complaint. The normal printing side of of the machine continues to work satisfactorily but the scanner is convinced it is not connected.
I got through to Epson's on line customer service "e-mail" chat line but after a lot of pratting about I was eventually told "Epson do not support Linux" and pointed to a source of drivers. Just the source from which I got the driver on which it has run satisfactorily or the last couple of months.
I would very much like some kind words of wisdom please.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:47 pm

I should may be have explained that I have it linked up to a desktop machine and have tried both the USB ports at the front of the box and those on the motherboard at the back. With exactly the same outcome.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby guy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:00 pm

I had something similar to this with my WF-7015. Print queues appeared full but stalled, while the printer was reported as idle or similar. Clearing the queues, shutting down and restarting both machines fixed it, but then it happened again with certain dodgy files.

Turned out to be a hiccup in CUPS. Here's my HowTo which I have now resorted to on several occasions:

Clearing the printer
--------------------------
Clear any files in the visible queues.
Browse to CUPS web admin tool http://localhost:631/admin
Click Manage Printers to open http://localhost:631/printers/
Click the printer's name in the list to open its admin page
Set the first drop-down to:
- Reject jobs [not sure if this step is needed]
- Cancel all jobs. This clears the status bug.
- Accept jobs (again).

Worth a try, anyway.
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:28 pm

Thank you for that, guy.
I got right down to "cancel all jobs" without trouble (and did that) but I could find no where or way of telling the damned fool thing to "Accept jobs".
Have I missed something or are we back to "situation normal"?
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby guy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:57 pm

Forgot to say, you have to go in as root or administrator, or it shows say "reject jobs" as selected but doesn't actually action it.

In debian/gome I open a root shell and launch Firefox from there. When I now try to change the printer status, I get an admin/root password prompt and it then does what it says. Click the printer name again to get back to the previous screen and you should find the menu now has the desired option.

Intuitive? Hahaha this is Linux. :(
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:26 pm

Intuitive? Hahaha this is Linux :cry:
I have a better name for it, but I would not use it here.

Well, guy, when I did it previously, without opening a terminal, I got a "drop down" wanting user/password details before it would clear/cancel all jobs.
Since your second reply I have tried to do it through a terminal but. probably through my inept senility, I could not get it interested participating, so I went through my original path again.
As it did first time through, it asked for user and password before it would oblige, but again I could not find an"Accept jobs" button.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby guy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:54 pm

In my ageing GUI it gets added as an option in the "Maintenance" drop-down list. You thought the list options were static? Hahaha this is <CENSORED>. :twisted:
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:06 pm

It would appear to my inexperienced eye to be a fault with the printer/scanner, because the electrons are running gaily up and down the wires when it prints, so there must be a connection between computer and WF-2530.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby guy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:15 pm

The other simple gotcha that periodically flaws me: check that the paper feed and ink level warnings are not active - pretty lights on the printer, sometimes need a button press or a cartridge change, thoughtfully not reported by the Linux driver so you have no clue what is wrong until you eyeball the gadget in person.
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:48 pm

Oddly enough, in the little messages window, for several days now, there has been a message saying that the ink levels were low in all four colours.
It has printed quite a few A4 photographs since this started happening.
I think it is something pretty weird if all 4 have have run down equally since I put them in two or three weeks ago and usually get a few months out of a cartridge. There were some "running in" cartridges installed in the machine when I got it, but they only lasted a week or two as stated in the manual.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby ferrari » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:36 am

FWIW, I've seen reports on various websites that tell of similar behaviour with some Epson multifunction devices, whereby low ink levels will prevent the scanner from working, which seems incredulously stupid. There have been suggestions that it is an underhand marketing ploy to encourage users to buy more ink. Some new printers come with "start-up" cartridges that contain only small amounts of ink, forcing the owner to buy more soon after printer purchase.
ferrari
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:47 am

One of those muliti functions is acting as a copier so they added the low ink constraint,but then did not mention it in any doc typical no brain behavior for large corps and of course the do want to sell more ink the printer is a loss leader,just following the Gillette business model give the razor away sell the blades :roll:

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:16 am

Thank you both for your replies.

ferrari
Some new printers come with "start-up" cartridges that contain only small amounts of ink, forcing the owner to buy more soon after printer purchase.

This came with "Start up" cartridges. That seemed odd, because I have had a a few Epsons before with just normal ones supplied.

lok1950

It looks as though this machine might be going back
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:50 am

catgate wrote:ferrari
Some new printers come with "start-up" cartridges that contain only small amounts of ink, forcing the owner to buy more soon after printer purchase.

This came with "Start up" cartridges. That seemed odd, because I have had a a few Epsons before with just normal ones supplied.

It seems to be the norm these days. I bought an Epson XP-750 printer/copier/scanner recently with start-up cartridges and was "persuaded" by the salesman to buy a complete set of new cartridges at the same time because (he said) I wouldn't even be able to print one photo with the supplied cartridges. More fool me! In the event I have been able to print quite a large number of colour pages along with a few photos and am only just now on the point of having to fit the new cartridges. It's not that I minded buying the new cartridges at the same time, just that they cost me far more than if I had bought them separately online.

I haven't done any scanning since the ink levels dropped to their present low level so I am not sure whether my printer is one of the models affected by the problem ferrari mentions.

I think we all know that the inkjet cartridge situation is a right rip-off but I'm not sure how we get round it if we want to do our own home printing. I prefer to have complete control from start to finish over the creation, editing and printing of my photographs so I just bite the bullet and put up with the cost.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:08 pm

After my 10:16 am post above I headed South and did a 35 mile round trip to Argos in Goole, where, after an explanation of the situation I obtained a new XP-315 (much the same as the previous one but without the Fax facility) and repayment of the difference in cost. I got it wired up and the ink popped in ("Start up" cartridges.of course) and then looked for the Users Manual. The only paperwork included was the usual single sheet of paper, printed in six different languages, that is supposed to guide the now proud owner of an Epson on his merry way (or "her" if we are being very PC).
This same piece of paper pointed the user to http//www.epson.eu/Support so thither I went.
I could not find any sign of a User Guide or a User Manual so I used their on-site Search facility.
That could not find one and so I went to a help page, where upon it said words to the effect of "If you want an immediate reply go to xxxxx"
I went to xxxxx and lo and behold it was another form to fill in to "Help us Better deal with your problem" sort of thing.
Almost instantly I got a reply back which said :-

"We will be in touch shortly regarding your enquiry. If you need to contact us in the meantime, use the quick link to the right.

Kind regards

Epson Deutschland GmbH
Otto-Hahn-Str. 4
D-40670 Meerbusch
Germany
Telephone: (+49) 02159-538-0 "

It does give one that feeling that "service" and "value for money" really are a dirty words these days.

Meanwhile my XP-315 has printed a test page, so there may be light at the end of the tunnel or may be we will get the same stupid pantomime all over again.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Next

Return to Help!