A bit out of date - sub-editor asleep?

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

A bit out of date - sub-editor asleep?

Postby johnhudson » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:54 pm

There haven't been any Novell supported distros for two years (p. 38 ) - JPEGs are all but a deprecated format (pp. 84-85) and <div>s have definitely been deprecated for over two years (pp. 90-91).
johnhudson
LXF regular

Re: A bit out of date - sub-editor asleep?

Postby Nuke » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:01 pm

johnhudson wrote: JPEGs are all but a deprecated format

News to me. Citation? It's a pity because my camera only saves in RAW or JPEG, and the vast majority of pics I see on the Web and elsewhere are in JPEG.
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:16 pm

The default bitmap format in HTML5 is image/png; of course, all photos are by default JPG but there is little point in downloading RAW images if you are ultimately going to save them as JPEG.

Most of the programs I use which have a default bitmap format use PNG. Ever since I started using Linux, I have seen a gradual trend away from JPEGs; a quick count shows I have 32 times more PNGs (from icons to images) on my system than JPGs (a miniscule number of those PNGs were generated by me).
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:07 pm

That PNG supports an alpha channel makes it my preferred format much easier to use as textures etc.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs