Using rpmrebuild to fix google earth on fed19

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Using rpmrebuild to fix google earth on fed19

Postby Cagere » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:59 pm

Hi All. I am trying to load Google Earth-64 rpm onto Fedora19-64..The install fails with a message about a file clash problem. On the internet I found that this is a known problem due to an incorrect line in the rpm file and the fix suggested is to use rpmrebuild to delete that line. I put the downloaded rpm file in a file called Fedora19 and ran rpmrebuild on it.. The result seems to default to a vi view and it is quite easy to edit out the errant line, but when I save the revised version it says it is putting it in a hidden tmp file.
I cannot find this anywhere on the system. I looked at the man page for rpmrebuild and saw a switch(-d) for directing the output so I put in (Fed19) to see what it did. As soon as it started it generated the Fed19 folder but at the end there was nothing in it! It still claimed to be saving to a hidden tmp file but didn't put it in the Fed19 folder
I expected vi to overwrite the original rpm file but I have obviously misunderstood the method of using rpmrebuild or possibly vi.
Any suggestions welcome. In case it makes a difference the Fedora19-64 is running as a guest on a Fedora16-32 version via virtualbox.and other than being rather slow seems to be doing what I expect
Cheers Cagere
Cagere
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Norfolk UK

Using rpmrebuild to fix problem with google earth on fed19

Postby Cagere » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:19 pm

Further to original post I have managed to edit out the unwanted line in the original rpm file and can now find the resulting file.When trying to install the G-E with the faulty rpm file it tries to download and install a load of files which I think are those destined for /opt/google but fails because of a file conflct. When I try using the edited rpm file it fails to find any reference to downloading and installing these files and aborts because of this. It would appear that rpmrebuild strips out a large part of the original. Is there any way of keeping everything except the erroneous line.
Cheers Cagere
Cagere
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Norfolk UK

Using rpmrebuild to fix problem with google earth on fed19

Postby Cagere » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:29 am

Further to my original posts, it appears that I miss-understood the way of using rpmrebuild ! After editing the original bad rpm file I should have exited from vi with the "ZZ" command after which it asks if you want to continue. I answered no to this as I thought it had finished, but I should have answered yes to make it rebuild the rpm file. At the end of the rebuild it tells you where to find the newly rebuilt rpm file. Hope this may help others as the rpmrebuild man page does not explain this very well.

In my case the rebuild initially failed as it was looking for "lsb" but after installing this with "yum install lsb" a second attempt gave me a usable Google Earth rpm file which installed onto fed19-64 itself running as a guest on fed16-32. After all this G-E runs too slowly to be much use and the problem with photos still seems to be there, but that's a fox for another day

Cheers Cagere
Cagere
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Norfolk UK


Return to Help!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: towy71 and 4 guests