NAS vs Media server

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

NAS vs Media server

Postby bobthebob1234 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:36 pm

So I have a MSI media live with a 3tb hdd in it running MythTV at the moment. The 3tb is almost full (100gb left) and isn't raid'd / backed up at all

So the way I see it I can either get a new NAS and fill it with hard drives (HP Micro server), keep current myth box, maybe stick an ssd in it to speed it up a bit

or

Completely new media server, in a HTPC box and a bunch of hard drives, which I can put more tuner cards in (Media live only has 1 pci slot), however 4+ hard drives might be a bit noisy in one machine under my tv (Well next year I'm back in uni halls so it will be living in my bedroom, and lots of spinning disks may not be a good idea when trying to sleep?)

Anybody have any thoughts on the above? What have others done? Basically talking 2 machines vs 1 machine.

Noise is really my main concern.

Thanks
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby greg.d » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:48 am

Have you thought of a backend/frontend config for Myth? You could keep the MSI as a frontend and have the backend with plenty of disks and tuners etc stashed away out of site somewhere.
I would think a machine with 4 HD's sat under your TV would pretty noisy not to mention would probably get quite warm :)
greg.d

Return to Discussion