Clonezilla and Vista

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Clonezilla and Vista

Postby CharlieM » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:51 pm

I have a Vista system and would like to back it up to an external drive using Clonezilla. I have researched how to do that and have no problem with it. However, none of the tutorials I read mentioned anything about the mbr. Will a Clonezilla disc image include the mbr? If not, could I possibly use dd to do that and just back it up to a seperate file? I have used dd in the past to back up WinXP and Win98 system mbr, but then, Vista has that wonky mbr thing and I'm not sure how that would work.

(In case you wonder why I don't just use Vista's own back-up and restore: it's a long story, but I have tried to do that in the past and had problems with it. I would rather have a Linux solution.)
CharlieM

Postby e_james » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:10 am

I've only used Clonezilla once or twice but I thought it did backup the mbr unlike partimage which I usually use. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to check it out at this time. You might also like to consider Macrium Reflect which looked a lot like a linux solution when it came to the restore options last time I looked at it (a few years ago).
In any completed construction project, at least 50% of the cost and effort goes to building the box to put it in.
e_james

Postby glenn4uk » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:24 am

The answer is Yes - the mbr is backed up in both partition images and (of course) full disk images with Clonezilla.
glenn4uk

Postby CharlieM » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:54 pm

Thanks, gentlemen. Without going into long, boring details about it, this solves a big problem I was having with Vista backup and restore. As usual, when I have trouble with MicroSoft products, I end up using Linux to clean up the mess.
CharlieM

Return to Help!