Distro review

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Distro review

Postby heiowge » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:14 pm

It was good to see Susan Linton's review of Rebellin Linux.

It makes a change to see a disto so up to date! :lol:

Gnome 2.30! Firefox 14.0.1!

Perhaps next issue we could have a review of Yggdrasil or a similar cutting edge distro! :lol:

Seriously though, I get that some distros ship with less modern software for stability or lighter weight options for less able systems, but to give top billing to this one is a joke.

It's not cutting edge, it provides little in the way of thrills and they have the balls to charge you for it!!! I don't even think there's a niche it actually fulfils.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby Nuke » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:50 pm

But it was intersting that such a thing existed - with a subscription! I wonder how many subscribers they have? One? Two?

I do not regard Susan Linton's pages as a place for reviews of heavyweights such as Debian; that is for a main magazine article. I prefer her to give coverage to the minor and quirky distros which would never be worth several pages.
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Re: Distro review

Postby hilly » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:35 am

heiowge wrote:It was good to see Susan Linton's review of Rebellin Linux.

It makes a change to see a disto so up to date! :lol:

Gnome 2.30! Firefox 14.0.1!

Perhaps next issue we could have a review of Yggdrasil or a similar cutting edge distro! :lol:

Seriously though, I get that some distros ship with less modern software for stability or lighter weight options for less able systems, but to give top billing to this one is a joke.

I won't be downloading Rebellin
It's not cutting edge, it provides little in the way of thrills and they have the balls to charge you for it!!! I don't even think there's a niche it actually fulfils.

Realistically I don't think you should be too critical of Susan Linton here - she sums it up very well in her article the way I read it and rightly advises you that unless you have some personal reason to help the author stay afloat with his "unremarkable" distro then save your $5 contribution and ignore the distro. The "Adreneline" version sounds like it is more current than the other version but is only in 32 bit and lacks anything special at all to make it stand out from the crowd.

So Susan shelled out $5 to let us have her view on it - she has saved me $5 if I had been the slightest interested so thanks to Susan rather than knocking her.

As rightly pointed out, she does cover quirky distros at times but she also covers the mainstream ones as well. The beauty of Susan's articles in my view is that she generally tells it the way she sees it rather than sugar coating them. She openly admits that she isn't one of todays people with a smartphone glued to her ear and so her likes and dislikes may be different to some but for what its worth I think she is up front about that as well. Should be more like her instead of just preaching what the various manufacturers and contributors give in their spin sheets. As for the top billing aspect - I had never considered there were any billings with Distrowatch - just the next one in the queue gets their distro written up. No big fizz.

Lets all lighten up and enjoy our diverse universe which is Linux. I love it and all its many quirks, just like I loathe the quirks such as Linux SOUND or the all too often lack of it.

...Phil - W. Australia
Phil
Perth - Western Australia
hilly

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs