Mounting a user partition under /home at login

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Mounting a user partition under /home at login

Postby jlturriff » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:52 pm

Hi,
On my 12.2 x86_64 machine, each user has a separate, encrypted partition that currently gets mounted at boot-up, no matter which user is going to login. I would like to have a user's partition mount at login time instead, so that the authorizations for all of the partitions do not have to be entered at boot-up.

I believe that this can be accomplished using pam-mount, but I have not been able to puzzle out the right way to do it, though I have read through the pam documentation several times.

Does anyone here know how to make this work?

Leslie
jlturriff

Postby johnhudson » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:44 pm

Looking at the example pam configuration files on my setup, there is no entry to limit access to part of a filesystem.

Access control tends to be to hosts, ports, etc. rather than to partitions (which is controlled by file attributes).
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:33 pm

You might be better off with a single, unencrypted, home filesystem and then use ecryptfs to encrypt the individual home directories. This is the method Ubuntu uses and each home directory is mounted when the user logs in and unmounted when they log out.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!