Kubuntu not booting!

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Kubuntu not booting!

Postby stuarte9 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:17 pm

Hi,

I've just installed Kubuntu 12.10 on my PC (from LXF166D). The spec is :-
Intel P4 @ 2GHz
2GB RAM
20 GB HDD
nVidia gForce FX5200 with 256MB onboard RAM

This usually has no problem with Linux, currently running F15 & openSUSE 12.2 (from LXF164D).

However, Kubuntu 12.2 is another matter. The OS installed without a problem. It was set to use the whole of the hdd, download 3rd party software & updates during the install.

The problem arises during the post-install reboot, running from the hdd. This gets as far as displaying only four of the usual bootup icons. That is, the icons for the HDD, crossed tools, globe, and a screen. At this point, the actual screen goes black and shows only a movable mouse pointer. At this point, the system hangs, just doesn't do anything.

Thinking that there might be a problem with the disk, I downloaded the 32-bit iso and verified its checksum. This is identical, digit-for-digit, to that given on the Ubuntu hashes page. I burned this to dvd/rw and installed from there. This also installs without a problem but also hangs at the same point during the reboot.

I've looked around the web to see if there is an answer to this. Found some posts on the Kubuntu forum that said "solved" but didn't give the answer(s) that I am looking for.

Has anyone else had this particular problem ? Do you know if there is a fix for this ? Anywhere ?

I have a copy of System Rescue CD 2.0, if that is any use although I'm still a bit of a noob with it.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give with this.

Stuart
stuarte9

Postby geekinthesticks » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:38 pm

Try editing /home/user/.kde4/share/config/kwinrc and in the [Compositing] section set Enabled=False.
geekinthesticks

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs