Problem with unison

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Problem with unison

Postby paulm » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:42 am

I read the article in LXF 165 on using unison, thought that it might get round a problem I've been having keeping files in sync between three different machines.

I installed a copy of unison on my laptop (Arch) and a copy on my desktop (Salix). I then created a test directory in ~/ on the laptop, then created an empty directory of the same name on the desktop machine. Created a test profile which has the following:

Code: Select all
label = this is a test profile
root = /home/fang/test
root = ssh://fang@deneb/test
sshargs = -C
force = newer
times = true

I then ran unison from the command line with this:

unison -ui text test

Trouble is, every time I've tried this, I get the following error:

Waiting for changes from server\ chan5
Reconciling changes
Dumping archives to ~/unison.dump on both hosts
Finished dumping archives
Fatal error: Internal error: New archives are not identical.
Retaining original archives.  Please run Unison again to bring them up to date.

I don't understand the 'server\ chan5' reference and so far can't get any further than that.

Anyone who has experience with unison got any idea what I've done wrong?

Paul.
paulm
LXF regular

Problem with unison

Postby cmcevoy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:04 am

Different versions of unison on the two machines? I think there is a switch to stop it being so picky, but I imagine the advice to use the same version at both ends is there for a reason!
cmcevoy

Re: Problem with unison

Postby paulm » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:08 pm

cmcevoy wrote:Different versions of unison on the two machines? I think there is a switch to stop it being so picky, but I imagine the advice to use the same version at both ends is there for a reason!

Same version, though different build numbers (similar to the differences between the Linux and Mac version mentioned in the article).

Had to stop for the moment - I upgraded Salix to the latest RC and lost unison - I'll have to try building it myself sometime in the next few days, unless the it appears in the updated repo....

I wondered if it might be the Salix build had a problem, but haven't so far been able to test.

Paul.
paulm
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:02 pm

Given the order you set things up and your use of force = newer and times = true, try it again without those two options in your perf.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Bruno » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:15 pm

You may have a permissions problem. Check that you are allowed to read from and write to the relevant files and directories on both machines.

Probably a red herring, but do you need the compression switch on SSH? This setting may conflict with settings in your ssh_config or sshd_config files.
Bruno
LXF regular

Return to Help!