Linux Format - will the paper edition last past 2013?

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Linux Format - will the paper edition last past 2013?

Postby linux_dan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:42 pm

Hello all,

So today I find out the Future are closing down XBox World magazine and closed PC Plus a couple of months ago.

Got me thinking about Linux Format do you think it has a long term future in paper edition at least?

Seems paper magazines are sadly on the way out.

Dan
linux_dan

Postby Dutch_Master » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:15 pm

If LXF goes digital-only I'll cancel my sub.... :evil: I also read Linux Journal, who, out of the blue, switched to a digital-only mag some time ago. As I paid for several years sub in advance, I'll let it laps. I paid for a paper copy, that isn't susceptible to all kind of eletrickery whims, I don't have to wait for a device to boot and then browse through some folder hierarchy to finally open some weird formatted pages with tons of advertising you can't skip as you cycle slowly (because they expect you to view it on a machine similar to the one they made it on :roll: ) through the pages, etc etc.

I'm not having it, period!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:31 pm

I read it in the bog. No way I'm balancing my lappy on my knee when I'm on the crapper. :lol:
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:12 am

I've been digital-only for sometime, as a regular contributor I used to get the paper magazine sent to me, now I only get the PDFs and I hate it.

I'm happy reading ebooks, but the magazine format doesn't translate to digital at all well.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby dandnsmith » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:24 am

I agree about the formatting - my Kindle doesn't do well on PDFs, cannot handle the Zinio format, and I don't find the pdf on a netbook at all suited to the display.
Perhaps my wifes new tablet, with rotatable display will prove better - not that I'll get much chance to use it.

Apart from that, I read a lot of books on the Kindle, for which I find the lack of ability to keep a finger in one page while referring temporarily to another page is a handicap.
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:39 am

A large tablet provides a reasonable experience, for a short time. Then the weight of the device and the light from the display start to get to you.

Can't you use the Kindle's bookmarks as a finger? I take your point though, a Kindle is fine for reading a novel, where you start at page 1 and work forwards (unless you like to sneak a look at the last page) but less suited to reference books. That's a real shame because the ability to carry a bookcase full of reference books in your pocket is one of its great benefits for me.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:27 pm

I use a 10 inch Galaxy tablet, which is not really much heavier than a magazine.
For reading, I like the night mode which gives you white on black.
The brightness is adjustable.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:25 pm

I recall a magazine called Tux that was distributed as a pdf only, they adjusted the formatting to suit reading on screen, so it wasn't too bad. Sadly with us no more, perhaps it was just too far ahead of its time.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Paradigm Shifter » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:23 pm

I'm with Dutch_Master; if the mag goes digital only I'll not bother to renew my subscription.

As much as I like some things in digital form, magazines aren't one of them. But I'm a big fan of hard copies of things.
Paradigm Shifter

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:39 pm

Paradigm Shifter wrote: I'm a big fan of hard copies of things.

Sadly, that is becoming a shrinking option.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby reklan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:07 pm

been reading lxf since issue 2..

and sadly I for one would stop reading and subbing if it went digital only..

I do have a kindle and enjoying reading books on it..but for me magazines need printed to enjoy to their fullest.
Don't Dream it....Be it..
reklan

Postby towy71 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:52 pm

Can't read computers while seated in the "throne room"
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:42 pm

Or in the bath :)

EDIT:or perhaps you can:
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/43995/t ... less-power

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs