FreeNAS in LXF 161

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

FreeNAS in LXF 161

Postby Nuke » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:54 pm

I was brought up short when Mike Saunders said for our file server we should put FreeNAS on a 2Gb USB stick and our data on the hard drive, and "if you have two hard drives you can install FreeNAS on one and use the other for storage, but that can be wasteful". What? Can't BSD/FreeNAS use partitions? Maybe not, maybe I've heard that before.

But anyway, two drives would be wasteful of what? A drive? I thought we are talking about using an old system unit; so using the original (ie smallish) HD for the system and putting in a shiny new terabyte HD for the data would probably be ideal - especially as the alternative might be to discard it.

Anyway, I have a boxful of old HDs in the attic from past upgrades, ranging from about 1Gb up (I only recently threw away several even smaller ones down to 105Mb!). Am I the only guy who keeps such stuff? These HDs are crying out to be used like this.

Moreover, a USB stick permanently "sticking" out the front of a system unit of a "secure" server? Waiting for the cat to walk past and knock it out? Not a good idea IMHO!
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:37 am

Calm down, Mike was probably in some Bierstube when he wrote that ;)

I too have some old and small disks, but I now have no real need for them, as there's no IDE controller on new main boards these days! :? However, with some clever hardware addressing one could use these drives in microcontroller environments ;)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Nuke » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:43 am

Dutch_Master wrote:I too have some old and small disks, but I now have no real need for them, as there's no IDE controller on new main boards these days! :? However, with some clever hardware addressing one could use these

You can still get Mobos that have both IDE and SATA; I recently bought an Asus M5A78L and am running a mix now.

But I thought we were talking about using old kit for this project - it is SATA connectors the Mobo might not have.
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:30 am

Hi,

FreeBSD can partition hard drives, of course. But the FreeNAS installer doesn't provide you options to do that. In other words, if you choose to install FreeNAS onto a hard drive, it takes over all of that drive, which is wasteful if it's 1TB and the FreeNAS installation only uses a couple of GB. From the official docs:

"While technically you can install FreeNAS onto a hard drive, this is discouraged as you will lose the storage capacity of the drive. In other words, the operating system will take over the drive and will not allow you to store data on it, regardless of the size of the drive."

Mike
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:26 am

You can get internal usb cables, or ones with Faceplatesfor the rear of the pc, and remove the faceplate, and most mobos have rear USB ports anyway.
As for the sata/ide issue, there are cheap IDE/SATA convertors, or even USB/SATA ones, and we are talking really cheap here, but they work.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs