Windows 7 (my experience)

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Windows 7 (my experience)

Postby towy71 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:46 am

I have just acquired a computer with Win7 on it, it was bought new by a friend who then had a stroke and lost his sight so never actually used or updated, I plugged it in and thought I ought to give it a go.
Well the screen resolution was 14:9 even though the monitor is widescreen and nothing I plugged into the USB sockets would work; I then discover that it is 32bit on a 64bit dual core processor.... grrrr just made me madder :twisted:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby bobthebob1234 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:28 pm

Haven't trying updating yet then?
:P
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby dandnsmith » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:35 pm

But 14:9 is widescreen (agreed, not 16:9 as commonly expected) - old style is 4:3 which is noticeably different. I find this matches the default on my LG TV/Monitor, which has native resolution of 1400x900.

Is there a chance that some motherboard drivers are missing (for the USB ports)? I cannot remember whether there were some specials I had to add when I built my own Win7 system (for which, BTW, I used 32-bit on 64-bit hardware, as I wasn't sure whether I could get 64-bit drivers and bits for stuff I wanted to use).
I noticed, after the build, that some Dell PCs we bought since for a small charity office have 64-bit Win7 supplied and installed.
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:16 pm

My brain is very small today, I blame M$ :wink:
4:3 is what I meant :roll: however the USB thing has been fixed after 14 hours of updating and switching on and off like a demented fool*, why did it need to install updates one at a time and reboot each time, at least that was how it seemed :roll:

*shut up at the back :P
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Ram » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:03 pm

This might cheer you up... it did me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQteg3R8 ... playnext=4

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:58 pm

towy71 wrote:after 14 hours of updating and switching on and off like a demented fool*, why did it need to install updates one at a time and reboot each time

Well at least you haven't been installing the same updates for the past 3 months... Just you wait... :twisted:
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby Nuke » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:46 pm

I have never got beyond Windows XP which was pre-loaded on a couple of PCs I have.

The only thing I ever do with it is occasionally play certain games (eg Portal) and test a a couple of websites I have. I more often boot it just to check that it does still boot after I have messed around with GRUB or installed a new distro.

But when I am in Windows I am paranoid about malware and hackers, and I disconnect it from the internet as soon as possible.

After first booting XP there are any number of pop-ups nagging me to update an anti-virus app (I did not even know I had), let it remove "disused" desktop icons (I did not know any are "disused", or what counts as "disused"), get updates that are supposed to be "ready" for me (despite my being off-line) and so on, and even when I dismiss these things they pop up again within seconds, several times over. It is like Whackamole.

I do not have a clue whether these things are a good idea or just scams to get me to load [more?] malware, and I cannot be bothered to find out. My Windows still works, and I don't keep anything important on the Windows partition.

I hate the Windows experience.
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby Bazza » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:55 am

Well I had my bad taste of Vista a few days ago...

http://www.linuxformat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14849

I might get a Win8 machine just to test Python code - but - then again I might not...

Oh the pleasures of Windows... ;o/

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Return to Other OS