error: out of disk.

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby srwalbridge » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:46 pm

Ok, I am completely new to Linux so please be gentle.

I'm trying to bin MS Windows and managed to successfully installed Unbuntu 9 on a spare 250GB drive. This worked fine but, as it had been superceded by 10.04 by that time, I found I was unable to access the software repository. I therefore grasp the nettle tried installing 10.04 LTS from LXF's live CD as a new install over the whole hdd. This time, although I could run ubuntu from the live CD and it appeared to have installed normally, when I tried to boot I got the following error:

Booting from local disk...
grub recue>

After a bit of fiddling I gave up and waited for the next version of ubuntu to come out thinking it was an installation problem.
So, now I have installed 10.10 with the same result. All the files appear to be on the hdd, it works fine from the live CD but, I still get the error msg given above.

Any idea's why I can't get grub work and boot ubuntu 10.10?
srwalbridge

Postby Captain_Tux » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:34 pm

Seems like a problem with Grub 2.

I don't have access to my links, but Google around and you should be able to find a fix.
Captain_Tux
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:26 pm

For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby srwalbridge » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:18 pm

Hello again. Thanks for the pointers but unfortunately I am not making much progress here.

I installed PCLinuxOS, which also uses Grub as the bootloader, just to prove to myself that it wasn't something going on with the hardware. This installed and booted fine from the new hdd.

I then removed all the partitions and did a new install of Ubuntu 10.10 onto the same drive. Again

Booting from local disk...
grub rescue>

So following the first link you provided and found :
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

From Section 9 - Command Line and Rescue Mode. Using the rescue mode I could drill down as far as ls (hda1,msdos1)/boot but could not seen down to (hda1,msdos1)/boot/grub. Although using the live CD I can confirm it exists via the file manager, as does grub.cfg. None of the other grub rescue commands seemed to work!

I then tried "Section 12.1 Reinstalling GRUB 2 - Method 3 - CHROOT". No problems were reported but on reboot the same problem persisted.

I then tried section "13. Uninstalling GRUB 2" with the idea of replacing it with GRUB legacy (0.97). Here I had a few problems.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo cp /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.old
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo cp -R /etc/grub.d /etc/grub.d.old
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo cp -R /boot/grub /boot/grub.old
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo aptitude purge grub2 grub-pc
sudo: aptitude: command not found

Installed aptitude from synaptic

ubuntu@ubuntu:/$ sudo aptitude install grub
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.

Not sure what this means or how to fix it so, I cannot complete the final steps:

sudo update-grub
sudo grub-install /dev/sda
srwalbridge

error: out of disk [resolved]

Postby srwalbridge » Wed May 15, 2013 4:41 pm

:D

Ok for anyone out there still pondering this or, experiencing similar problems, I have finally resolved it.

My PC has a very old ASUS A7V motherboard running
ASUS BIOS A7V ACPI Rev 1004C release date 09/21/2000 VIA KT133.

It appears that the issue may have related to the fact that this BIOS originated when HDD didn't exceed 120GB, which wasn't a problem for my original 20GB HDD but, was an issue when I tried to install Linux on a 250GB Maxtor.

I flashed the BIOS to a much later, version 2008 found off the web and it now works with both the latest ZorinOS and OpenSUSE 12.3, although strangly PCLinuxOS still seems to cause me a issue.

Hope this helps

Steve
srwalbridge

Postby Bazza » Wed May 15, 2013 5:39 pm

Now that you have found a solution repost a full description of your solution to the "Hints and Tips" forum...

TIA...

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Return to Help!