Forking Mandriva

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Forking Mandriva

Postby Rhakios » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:09 am

It seems that many of the former developers of Mandriva and other community members have decided to create a fork of Mandriva they are calling Mageia.
Given Mandriva's troubled history one can only wish them luck. I expect it will need a lot of hard work, but if they can get back to something like the spirit of Mandrake, then we might have something to look forward to.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby towy71 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:33 am

I must admit that I moved away from Mandribble because of the shenanigans with corporate speak etc., look forward to seeing some of the original wow that Mandrake gave me ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Rhakios » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:39 am

And the godawful-looking branding that you couldn't uninstall because they'd made all of KDE and the kernel dependant on it.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby RedWillow » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:50 pm

Forking Mandriva

Strange you should say that. That was what I was heard to mutter when one injudicious mouse-click on my part caused the Mandriva installer to reformat my data partition. :roll:

Anyway - I wish Magela well. We need the choice and healthy competition we presently have between the major distros. If Mandriva does go under that will leave a big hole.
RedWillow
LXF regular

Postby stevenaaus » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:55 am

RedWillow wrote:
Forking Mandriva

Strange you should say that. That was what I was heard to mutter when one injudicious mouse-click on my part caused the Mandriva installer to reformat my data partition.

No! Sometimes the only thing to do is reach around the back of the pc at lightspeed and hit the power supply switch. But it's hard to do in a split second.

It'll be nice to see Mandrake again without their butchered KDE (fingers crossed). The closest i've seen to the Mandrake of old is Sabayon. It supports compiz and nvidia video out of the box, but their packaging system is unusual, to say the least.
stevenaaus

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:17 am

Good luck to them. Mandriva 7.something was one of my early fave distros. Looking at the Mageia mailing list, however, there seems to be a whole lot of discussion about the logo and not so much about the big decisions...

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:07 am

It's a pity they didn't have such a discussion about the name. Something with easy and consistent pronunciation would be a start. The first couple of time I read about this, I though tit was called MAGELA thanks to the similarity between lower case I and L in a sans-serif font.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby RedWillow » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:35 am

stevenaaus wrote:No! Sometimes the only thing to do is reach around the back of the pc at lightspeed and hit the power supply switch. But it's hard to do in a split second.

On a laptop? You'd have to be bloody quick to whip the battery out in time :wink:

nelz wrote:The first couple of time I read about this, I though tit was called MAGELA thanks to the similarity between lower case I and L in a sans-serif font.

Thanks for pointing that out - I see I made that very mistake. So - I wish Mageia well. But which tit were you thinking of? 1sf (troll)? :P Rather appropriate considering his obsession with Mandriva.
RedWillow
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:21 am

I try very hard to not think of 1sf (troll) at all. Thanks for breaking my run of several days :(
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:48 am

nelz wrote:It's a pity they didn't have such a discussion about the name.

Absolutely. Already, the Wikipedia page about it has a section explaining how to pronounce the name. That's a bad start.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:13 pm

nelz wrote:It's a pity they didn't have such a discussion about the name. Something with easy and consistent pronunciation would be a start. The first couple of time I read about this, I though tit was called MAGELA thanks to the similarity between lower case I and L in a sans-serif font.

It wasn't until you pointed it out that I realised it wasn't an L :roll: Why would you pick that name when mageia.com was registered way back in 2001? :?
ollie

Postby Rhakios » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:38 pm

M-Saunders wrote:
nelz wrote:It's a pity they didn't have such a discussion about the name.

Absolutely. Already, the Wikipedia page about it has a section explaining how to pronounce the name. That's a bad start.

M

To be fair, they could have called it "Nob" and someone would ask if that's with a long "o" or a short one. :roll:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Rhakios » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:39 pm

ollie wrote:It wasn't until you pointed it out that I realised it wasn't an L :roll: Why would you pick that name when mageia.com was registered way back in 2001? :?

Mandrake.

Need I say more?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby evilnick » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:29 am

I guess Mandrake still belongs to the Ladydriva people.

What about Remandrake? Or if they wanted everyone to download it and rave about how great it was, Drakbuntu.
evilnick

Postby Rhakios » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:56 pm

Oh, I've had an even better idea: how about PCLinuxOS?

;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Next

Return to Announcements