Anybody Totally Switch To Linux?

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Anybody Totally Switch To Linux?

Postby khakilang » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:00 am

That is the question. You find Linux had everything that you need and do not use any other OS at all. I try to switch as Linux has everything I need like word, spreadsheet, presentation, GIMP, Firefox, Live messenger etc... except for games. But I had to use Window XP for my Lexmark all in one printer. The scanner just doesn't work on any Distro. So I had to use it under Virtual Box with Window XP installed. How about you guys out there?
khakilang
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:51 am

Pure Linux :) My old desktop has recieved an XP install, just to play the occasional game, but I hardly boot it nowadays...
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby roseway » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:27 am

100% Linux for ten years. In the early days it was difficult, but it's some time now since I encountered a problem which couldn't be solved.
Eric
roseway
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:04 am

My machines are both Linux, but I have a virtualised XP on my desktop. It's rarely used, only to process camera film and upload to youtube (for some reason Youtube uploads rarely are successful from Linux).

Funnily enough the camera footage (.MOV format) comes from the free camera I got last year from LXF! :lol:
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby MartyBartfast » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:02 am

Yep, moved over from Windows when '98 came along. Had to retain it for a while for the camera software, don't need that now as there are plenty of Linux options. Also had a dalliance with iTunes, and another oddball bit of S/W, neither of which I use now.

We do have Windows in the house for the kids but I only get involved when they don't work!
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:22 am

3 computers all using Ubuntu two dual boot with Vista but are seldom booted to the darkside ;-)

swmbo has an ancient iMac, she hated windows and doesn't like any version of Linux that I have installed for her :roll: :roll: :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:40 am

At home, completely Linux.
Living room Mythbuntu PVR and media server, Kitchen minITX ubuntu 10.4, study Opensuse 10.2 (wife's) and Ubuntu 10.4 (mine)
2 UNE Acer netbooks.
1 test-bed machine that runs anything I am writing about or researching at the time, including many distros and sometimes windows 7, Vista and XP, but that doesn't count really.

At work we are mixed, mainly Windows workstations and 2 windows servers, but also 4 Linux servers and several Linux workstations, Mac, even one BSD. My work laptop runs XP, 7, or Ubuntu, depending on circumstances :)
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby donoreo » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:16 pm

The windows machine is for my wife. I do have a Mac though.
I cannot deny anything that I did not say.
donoreo
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:50 pm

My wife uses Vista. She has made it a point of honour never to use Linux just to spite me - despite constantly moaning about her OS of choice.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby ajgreeny » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:16 pm

Totally linux on 5 machines.

1. My desktop,
2. My wifes laptop,
3. An old laptop about 6 yrs old,
4 & 5. Two netbooks.

There is absolutely no need for windows (or mac) any more for us, and I can see no likelyhood of there ever being a need in future.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby leke » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:50 pm

I haven't had a Windows for nearly 5 years now. We should get tokens or something :P

LinuxMint on the desktop
EasyPasy on the Eee netbook
Maemo on the tablet
Going to see if I can afford a Meego phone when they come out.

Not so keen on the games really. If I was, I'd probably get a games console.
I wish someone would make a Linux game console that would compete with the big boys. This is at least a start.
leke
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:59 pm

As I enjoy experimenting with other OSes, the issue isn't all that relevant. In any event, I can't say I've found Windows useful to me in any particular way for quite some time, unlike OSX.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby nordle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:16 pm

Switched totally in 2001. I say totally, but still got XP for games (ie Winter). So technically my dad, who is 35 years deeper in the paying tax game, who has his laptop and desktop running Ubuntu since 2008 is 100% Linux way before me.....if I ever go full fat.

Dad Desktop: Ubuntu 10.04
Dad Laptop: Ubuntu 10.04

Uncle Desktop: Mint 9 LXDE

Desktop: Ubuntu 10.04 + Windows XP
Laptop: Lubuntu 9.10
Mythtv: Slackware 12.1
Mobile: Windows Mobile 6........the shame, forgive me, I have sinned...badly, really badly. To be fair, it was 2006, symbian was not great and....ok, no excuses, a bad choice.
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby GregS » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:25 pm

2 x Desktop (Fedora 11, PCLOS)

3 x Laptop (Fedora 13, Ubuntu Netbook Remix, Mint)

Been that way a good 8 years now.

OK, one of the laptop's has that other O$ dual-booting still - 'cos the kid's Flight Simulator games won't work in Wine... :roll:
GregS

Postby ollie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:52 pm

GregS wrote:OK, one of the laptop's has that other O$ dual-booting still - 'cos the kid's Flight Simulator games won't work in Wine... :roll:

Is that the one that has stopped being released? You should show them FlightGear - it should be in the repos :wink:
ollie

Next

Return to Off Topic