Ubuntu won't run from coverdisc on eeePC

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Ubuntu won't run from coverdisc on eeePC

Postby dkpk3 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:08 am

I'm trying to run Ubuntu 10.04 from the coverdisc on an Asus eeePC, with a 1.6Ghz Atom processor, a Mobile Intel 945 display chipset, and an external DVD drive.

I get to the boot menu, and am able to run Kubuntu and Xubuntu from the disc OK. But when I try Ubuntu, I never get off the boot menu. The external DVD drive reads the disc for about 20-30 seconds, then stops, and nothing else happens. The netbook doesn't hang, but it won't take me to the Ubuntu desktop.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Could it have something to do with the video driver problems others have had? Is there a workaround that a newbie like me could implement?
David K
dkpk3

Postby nelz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:14 am

That's very standard hardware, I've run Ubuntu 10.04 on an Eee PC. It's more likely to be a problem with the disk, try it in another computer and see if the same problem occurs.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby heiowge » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:56 pm

I have 10.04 running on my eeepc 904ha. I installed that from a downloaded version off the Ubuntu website. 10.04 does work on my eeepc, so I'd agree - it's probably your disc.
heiowge
LXF regular

I have the same problem with Ubuntu disc

Postby yamin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:33 am

I installed on one PC. But then tried on another PC does not work. It was after the initial menu "Error Reading Disc" with an error code. I tried several machines and even downloaded it and burnt on several CDs.

I just cant get it to install.

Yamin
yamin

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs