Not really sure where to post this, but I value Your Opinion

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Not really sure where to post this, but I value Your Opinion

Postby Alex01UK » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:25 am

So my Laptop died after 4 faithful years so went out to buy a new one Monday aft.
Ended up buying a Chromebook and a usb dvd writer. Hear's my thoughts on it so far.

This is what I use my pc for, usually plugged into my 5o'' LCD big screen and sound with BT Infinity.

Chrome browsing
Playing mp3s - Amorak
Audio editing - Audacity
Virtual DJ - Not on Chrome yet. 8(
Silverlight - So I can watch Sky tv online when am out and got wifi.
Playing CDs - Audacious
Playing DVDS.
The only online games I play are MafiaWars & Zynga Poker.

Now, to cut a long story short, it's The Samsung Chromebook I got, the £229 version with wifi i's absolutely brilliant at what it is supposed to be, but at the same time, it is useless.

It will never play dvds, it won't play music cds but can use the cdrom ok and dvd disks. Not even gonna try to get Silverlight going. No Java either so the F1 timing app won't run. So I just need to download a music app, Amarok? And Audacity, and dual boot with Linux but have to go into developer mode and that destroys everything.

I would just like my Chromebook to play audio cds and dvds. Is that too much to ask? And Silverlight. I shouldn't have to install another operating system to prform these quite simple tasks, in my humble opinion.

aha tia from Alex.

Goddam it, am gonna put Windows 7 HP on it...... or XP Pro!
Chrome OS: Samsung ARM Series 3 Chromebook, 32bit ARM Ubuntu 12.o4 HFCE.
64bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit Ubuntu Studio 14.o4, 32bit Mint 17 MATE.

''I am what I am, because we are what we are.''
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Re: Not really sure where to post this, but I value Your Opi

Postby nelz » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:19 pm

So you needed a laptop but bought a Chromebook and are now complaining that it can do Chromebook things well but not laptop things?

A Chromebook does not run GNU/Linux, you can't run the same software on it. You need to do things the Chromebook way. For example, why mess with DVDs and a drive when you can rip the discs to a USB drive or even put them on a Plex Media Server for watching over the network without cumbersome drives. Get a Chromecast and you don't even need to tie the Chromebook to the TV with a cable.

There are plenty of music players, which you would know if you had typed "music" into the Store's search box. If amaroK, or any other software, is not available for ChromeOS, surely that is the fault of the app developers for not porting it. I don't believe Microsoft word is available for ChromeOS either.

Enabling developer mode does not destroy everything, it simply wipes your locally stored files, of which there aren't many because there isn't much local storage space. A Chromebook is a cloud device and everything you have there is unaffected. Just copy the few local files you have to Google Drive, enable dev mode and then copy them back.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby purplepenguin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:04 am

This weeks Linux Action Show (on youtube) discussed installing ElementryOS along side ChromeOS on an Acer Chromebook.
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby Alex01UK » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:10 pm

nelz wrote:So you needed a laptop but bought a Chromebook and are now complaining that it can do Chromebook things well but not laptop things?

A Chromebook does not run GNU/Linux, you can't run the same software on it. You need to do things the Chromebook way. For example, why mess with DVDs and a drive when you can rip the discs to a USB drive or even put them on a Plex Media Server for watching over the network without cumbersome drives. Get a Chromecast and you don't even need to tie the Chromebook to the TV with a cable.

There are plenty of music players, which you would know if you had typed "music" into the Store's search box. If amaroK, or any other software, is not available for ChromeOS, surely that is the fault of the app developers for not porting it. I don't believe Microsoft word is available for ChromeOS either.

Enabling developer mode does not destroy everything, it simply wipes your locally stored files, of which there aren't many because there isn't much local storage space. A Chromebook is a cloud device and everything you have there is unaffected. Just copy the few local files you have to Google Drive, enable dev mode and then copy them back.

Yes, I rushed into it needing a laptop by the time the shops closed and it was 3pm! It's a second hand one from a shop and i paid £3o for a usb dvd burner. So total cost £16o. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it at all so I can't take it back, and it is brilliant at everything it is supposed to do. I didn't get a box or manual, so initially it was difficult, but I'm really getting used to it now........

8) 5/5 all round.

Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby Alex01UK » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:30 pm

okay, I'm having real difficulties here. Boot my Chromebook into Developer mode, install crouton xfce. Works perfect. But how do I install Synaptic? How do I install any software? So I boot to an XFCE desktop, but internet doesn't work, so I reboot, and it goes straight into ChromeOS, no dual boot or anything, aha, tia from Alex.

Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:15 pm

Crouton runs in a chroot in ChromeOS, it's not a dual boot. You need to start it again after rebooting.

It uses the ChromeOS network connection, if that works it should work in Crouton.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Alex01UK » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:16 pm

nelz wrote:Crouton runs in a chroot in ChromeOS, it's not a dual boot. You need to start it again after rebooting.

It uses the ChromeOS network connection, if that works it should work in Crouton.

My mistake. Internet is working fine in xfce. It was just my internet tripping out. So my next next step is to find an iso so I can dual boot Chrome OS & Linux. Elementary OS? Any suggestions appreciated. tia, aha, from Alex.

Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:05 pm

Bodhi had an image that booted from a USB stick. It worked well, but Bodhi is no more :(

It might make a good follow up to the Crouton article of few months ago.
nelz
Site admin

Return to Off Topic