Rescueing that other OS

Share your how-tos and guides with other users

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Rescueing that other OS

Postby Dutch_Master » Tue May 31, 2011 11:58 pm

So, your ($1) has a Win-PC that got infected. And you being "the Linux guy" (or gal ;)) around, (s)he urgently calls you late at night to 'call on your expertise' :roll:

Well, try http://www.sysresccd.org :) Simple, small download and memory footprint and apparently quite effective. The bootmenu has plenty of options to choose from, rescue applications in abundance, and although it has a graphical skin, it's basically cli stuff so you can impress ($1) and anyone else present...

To cut a long story short, this is the command that gets the work done for you:
Code: Select all
freshclam && clamscan -r /
It starts with updating the virus data from the ClamAV website, then starts the recursive scan at / (root). ($1) in my case was a friend (and colleague) catching a nasty virus when he was cheated by Norton last night. With him having a bit of knowledge on Linux, I was able to hand him a freshly backed CD (he lives nearby, less then a mile away) and guide him towards the solution by phone, as his g/f was already in bed. He said it was a 5 min job afterwards, but I'm not too sure he was talking about killing off the virus.... ;) :shock:

:mrgreen:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:46 am

My favourite chapter title in the excellent manual is '21 Backup data from an unbootable Windows computer'

The manual is a mine of useful information.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Return to Hints and tips