linux format 135 - where r the pdf's?

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

linux format 135 - where r the pdf's?

Postby ganesh_swamy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:32 pm

Got Linux Format 135 through the door today - was surprised as I had not seen any note about it online !
Just tried, but I cant find the pdf's for download?
When do the PDF's go online? I thought it goes up before the magazine ships?

Also the PHP coding book printing quality is awful (you seem to be concentrating on shiny covers with Pauls photo on it) - wondering if that would be available as a pdf as well....
ganesh_swamy

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:16 pm

The pdfs don't normally go online until after the magazine is available on the news-stands. Subscribers get their copies about 5 or 6 days early, if they're lucky.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: linux format 135 - where r the pdf's?

Postby Marrea » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:03 pm

ganesh_swamy wrote:Also the PHP coding book printing quality is awful ...

I think you will find that mini-books given away with magazines are normally produced in this way. I have collected quite a few over the years, not just from computer magazines but also from guitar magazines, and they are all in the same format. To produce them to a higher quality would probably be prohibitively expensive and thus the magazines would not be able to offer them as freebies. Surely it is a little unreasonable to expect anything else?

I have just started reading Paul's book and the content itself looks pretty good, which is what matters.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby ganesh_swamy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:57 pm

makes sense (both the pdf timeline and the plausible reason for the mini-book quality) - ofcourse the content is the more important piece but the cover seems excessively "shiny" as compared to the insides....

Was hoping there would be a pdf version of the mini-book available to subscribers as I prefer having an online version (guess I would be one of those people who would pay for a pdf only version of linux format - enuf said on that topic already!)
ganesh_swamy

Postby Ram » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:06 pm

Here's Paul's full PHP Book"Practical PHP Programming"

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby ganesh_swamy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:35 am

cool - will review the code section of the site - thanks!
ganesh_swamy

Postby Bazza » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:27 am

Hi ganesh_swamy...

> Also the PHP coding book printing quality is awful (you seem
> to be concentrating on shiny covers with Pauls photo on it)

Well I don`t know; something for free and, still, there are
complaints... ;oO

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby bob_moss » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi guys,

Being a freelancer I can't give you any confirmation on when it will be posted, but Mike is usually the one who posts the PDFs to the Linux Format website. He's currently on sabbatical, and Paul and Graham are both currently at OSCON.

My understanding is that they'll be posted as soon as someone is available to do so. It's a little delayed, but as someone pointed out above this is something we give away for free to subscribers!

Hope this helps. :-)

Bob
Bob Moss writes for LXF and is studying computer science at the University of Plymouth, UK

Linux Registered User #473630
bob_moss

lxf135 incomplete?

Postby ubuntu » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:21 pm

having downloaded 135 i noticed that it is not avaliable as a zip file and that parts are missing.

there is no front cover, welcome page 3, contents p4-5, mailserver p16-19, linux user groups p14, review intro p21, tutorial intro p75, the whole answers section p102-107 from what i can see!

is this because it has not long been up as a pdf? i went to redownload them but nothing has changed on the site. im interested to see if anyone else is missing any of these!
ubuntu

Re: lxf135 incomplete?

Postby Rhakios » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:43 pm

ubuntu wrote:is this because it has not long been up as a pdf?

No. it's because Mike's away (probably).
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Hudzilla » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:16 pm

Hey!

The guy who makes the single-file PDFs is away on holiday until Monday, so I'm afraid we're stuck with my best efforts in the meantime. Mike will be back on the job in two weeks or so, and I'm sure he's looking forward to having an inbox full of complaints :D

Paul
Hudzilla
Site admin

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs