Morherboard Hell

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Morherboard Hell

Postby DavePritchard » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:23 pm

Hi, I am building a new system, and was looking at a motherboard bundle that consisted of a AMD 6300 FX 4.1Ghz 8GB DDR3 1600mhz Corsair Gigabyte 78LMT. it sounded good.
Then I find a review as follows :- there is one snag if you intend to use it in part of a Linux build: the IOMMU in the bios is disabled. Basically this prevents distros such as Ubuntu or Mint from using internet over an Ethernet cable connection.
Also,
To enable AM3+ AMD FX-Series CPU support, please update your motherboard with the most current BIOS found in your motherboard’s download section.
Also I read somewhere, that for Linux, drivers are required from the chip manufacturer.
Also I cannot find out if the bios uefi can be disabled.

So overall its seems that this board is Linux hostile, all I want is a board that just works, can anyone suggest a good alternative.
Thanks Dave P..
DavePritchard

Postby Dutch_Master » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:49 pm

My system runs on a Gigabyte F2A75M-D3H main board. Requires a 3.x series kernel (Debian Jessie has a 3.x kernel, other distro's have embraced the 3 series kernel a while back) but otherwise, no issues.

[edit: I just noticed this particular board has been discontinued. No doubt there'll be a suitable replacement by Gigabyte. If else, try Asus and MSI as I have main boards of those running Linux]
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby msnthrp » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:09 am

My "new" system is about 8 months old. ASUS A5M99 R2 Pro, AMD FX-6300 6-core, 8GB DDR3 RAM, UEFI Bios, 2TB HDD.

After assembling the machine, first boot I hit the Delete to get to the BIOS. Went into Advanced and found the Secure Boot switch and turned it off. Used Gparted to partition the HDD with GPT and added in the EFIBios partition as first on the disc. The other partitions were basically for several distros and for each I had a /, /home, and swap. Multiple swaps are not necessary but I did it anyway.

No problems in getting it started. I have since added a 1TB HDD and a 128GB SDD, using GPT for all. On the SDD, I was careful to add "discard" to the options on the drive in /etc/fstab.

The only problem has been in getting the preferred boot order like I want it. As I added Mint 17 and later Ubuntu 14.04.1, each install adds an entry to the boot system. I am a distro junkie and this was annoying. I did find out via an article in LinuxBSDOS that the efibootmgr is the way to control the efi booting -- there is a man page for efibootmgr that is better than most man pages but read it all the way down to learn how to use things.

In setting up the machine, I did not see an option to toggle the IOMMU so I guess the default is ok. I have no trouble at all getting on the web.

Good luck with your build. Each manufacturer uses their own version of a graphical BIOS setter so you will have to figure out the one you eventually buy. You can usually find a copy of the install/owners manual for the motherboard at the manufacturers website. I have the paper copy for mine but I also have copies of the pdf version, including one stored in my Google Drive.
msnthrp

Morherboard Hell

Postby DavePritchard » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:18 pm

Thanks for the reply,
This motherboard looks like a good option, just a couple of queries.
Unfortunately I got a bit lost with "partition the HDD with GPT and added in the EFIBios partition as first on the disc." I have only ever set up partitions using the distro install disk, usually just leaving /home and formatting the rest, sometimes with a separate boot partition. is this still an option after switching off Secure Boot,
I guess your web connection is from the ethernet port and not usb !
Thanks Dave P..
DavePritchard

Return to Hardware