LXF188 cover disc - archive availability?

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

LXF188 cover disc - archive availability?

Postby mizar » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:55 am

Greetings,
I've just started a tablet subscription to Linux Format but when I visit www.liinuxformat.com to download the coverdisc, the only likely location that I can find in the archive contains just the code. Does the coverdisc image get uploaded at a later date?
Any clarification would be appreciated!
mizar

Postby Rhakios » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:22 pm

I'm not sure what sort of tablet subscription you bought, it only seems to be available through third parties like Amazon and Google Play, etc.. To the best of my knowledge downloadable disc isos are not provided for digital subscribers.
With the increasing importance of digital subscriptions it's certainly something they ought to look into, even if it's only via bittorrent.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby mizar » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:32 pm

Thanks for the reply Rhakios. I bought mine for the ipad via the itunes store. It does seem that digital subscriptions are somewhat of a 2nd class citizen when it comes to the benefits of a print subscription such as full archive access etc. If that is the case then it is disappointing and not without irony either.
mizar

Postby Rhakios » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:05 pm

Hmm, bearing in mind that on page 97 it says, "Are you reading this on a tablet? Download your DVD from www.linuxformat.com", you might well be entitled to feel hard done by. The most recent issue with a download (via bittorrent) that I can find is #186.
It doesn't seem reasonable to have to wait eight weeks for the disc does it?

I've also tried cheating to see if the torrent file is there but just not linked, by using the #186 url and editing it to 188, it just tells me the file is not available. Oh well.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby ChrisThornett » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:45 am

Just to clarify, the ISO of the DVD is available to anyone - up to LXF186 - via BitTorrent on the archive page.

We need to upload the missing ISOs up to the current issue (LXF188) and this is on the team's to do list and should be up this week.

Sorry, this gap occurred when we started having problems with the BitTorrent server, which is now fixed (thanks to Jonni).
ChrisThornett
Site admin

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs