Chromebook Roundup

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Chromebook Roundup

Postby jsngabriel » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:15 am

I am wanting to buy an affordable laptop in London this week. I know that there will be a Chromebook review in the next issue. I cannot wait for this but will hate to be the owner of the Chromebook that doesn't get a good rap. I will be installing Arch Linux and can't wait to get going.

Any psychics that can tell me the result of the next issue's Chromebook showdown? Or any other laptop you insist on, RSVP.

Thank you.
jsngabriel

Postby johnhudson » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:54 pm

The latest Acer got a good write-up but I have forgotten where.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:59 pm

The C720? That's the one I have and its a good computer for the price.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Re: Chromebook Roundup

Postby jsngabriel » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:49 pm

Thanks very much for replying. I ended up buying an HP Pavilion x360. It had Windows 8.1 pre-installed. I wiped that clean off and am running Linux Lite 2.0. I was running Arch but there were problems, Manjaro, Crunchbang, Gentoo, and others + full distros such as Ubuntu, Suse, Fedora didn't run well either. However I have had no issues at all with Linux Lite 2.0. so I will stick with that for now. It runs like a dream.
jsngabriel

Re: Chromebook Roundup

Postby ChrisThornett » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:51 am

Sounds like a good move. There are a loads of cheap £200-something laptops surfacing pre-installed with 'Windows 8.1 with Bing', which, I hope, will be ripe for wiping and penguifying.
ChrisThornett
Site admin

Return to Help!