Monitor Resolution

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Monitor Resolution

Postby Swabbie » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:17 pm

I recently got a new Windows 8.1 laptop (a HP Pavilion 17-f053us) and wanted to use Ubuntu as I do on all my other computers. I was going to dual boot with Ubuntu 14.04. I started running it as a live session booting from a DVD and when I did the screen resolution defaulted to 800x600 and gave no other choices and did nothing when I tried to have it detect the monitor. I considered that it could be a problem detecting the video card but could find no evidence of it. I then thought I would go ahead and install as dual boot and then update and see if it fixed the issue. Then I had no option to install alongside Windows 8.1. I decided to go ahead and take the plunge since I had made the restore DVD's and it was a new system. It installed flawlessly with full disk encryption and an encrypted home directory but still the monitor resolution problem. Updates did nothing. I researched the issue and ended up in a maze that had no solutions. I did shut off fast boot in Windows 8.1 before I tried this. So I just restored the computer to Windows 8.1 with the disks. I so do want to run Linux and prefer Ubuntu but so far this only works as a Windows machine with the resolution issue. Any thoughts?
Swabbie

Postby dandnsmith » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:24 am

Ah, a laptop from HP.
First check the resolution Windows is using, then check the graphics chipset being used.
It may be an issue with lack of adequate drivers for the graphics.
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby Swabbie » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:47 pm

And that will help me find the proper drivers in Linux?

dandnsmith wrote:Ah, a laptop from HP.
First check the resolution Windows is using, then check the graphics chipset being used.
It may be an issue with lack of adequate drivers for the graphics.
Swabbie

Postby dandnsmith » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:26 am

It might help.
Once done, you can
a) google for problems for that type
b) google for linux drivers
c) search the ubuntu forums for the appropriate help

It might be a setup problem, drivers, or just a lack of support for your particular hardware
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:20 am

Swabbie wrote:And that will help me find the proper drivers in Linux?

How can knowing the chipset not help with finding drivers?

You can also find this info in Linux with lspci. Add the -k option to see the driver currently in use. Once you know what it is using and what it should be using, you can solve the problem.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Alex01UK » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:49 pm

I am having a similar problem with my 64 bit Ubuntu Studio 14.4.1 installation on my laptop. It will only give 1o24 x 768 on my external vga monitor whereas Windows 7 gives 1280 x 1o24. I've got ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 graphics. How do I install the propriety drivers? tia, aha from Alex.

alex@armani:~$ lspci -k
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] RS880 Host Bridge
Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 036e
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] RS780/RS880 PCI to PCI bridge (int gfx)
00:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] RS780/RS880 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0)
Kernel driver in use: pcieport
00:05.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] RS780/RS880 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 1)
Kernel driver in use: pcieport
00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [IDE mode] (rev 40)
Kernel driver in use: ahci
00:12.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
Kernel driver in use: ohci-pci
00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 41)
Kernel driver in use: piix4_smbus
00:14.1 IDE interface: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 IDE Controller (rev 40)
Kernel driver in use: pata_atiixp
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 LPC host controller (rev 40)
00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge (rev 40)
00:14.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI2 Controller
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
Kernel driver in use: k10temp
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS880M [Mobility Radeon HD 4225/4250]
Kernel driver in use: radeon
01:05.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS880 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4200 Series]
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 01)
Kernel driver in use: tg3
08:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc. T77H047.31 802.11bgn Wireless Half-size Mini PCIe Card [AR9283]
Kernel driver in use: ath9k
alex@armani:~$

--
Alex Armani, IT Consultant \ Digital Musician.
+447 754 595 449 - Www.Armani.PM 8) %)
tB.xx
--
Www.FaceBook.com/Alex.Armani.01.UK
Alex.Armani@Live.co.UK - E-mail \ MSN
Alex.Armani@RocketMail.com - Yahoo Messenger
Alex.Armani.UK@gmail.com - Google Talk
Alex.Armani@MYspace.com - MYspace IM
Alex.Armani01UK - Skype
@AlexArmani01 - Twitter
Chrome OS: ASUS C300 13.3" Chromebook - Intel® Celeron® Processor N2830 32GB
64bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit Unicorn Studio 14.1o, 32bit Mint 17.1 MATE

''I am what I am, because, we are, what we are; I thought Yogi Bear invented television.''
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:42 am

click on the lens, type "drivers".
you should see an icon for additional drivers.
click it, it will search for the drivers.
Once finished, you should see the driver in use and any alternatives.
with AMD, you will see fgrlx, with Nvidia, you will see nvidia.

This also works for some other hardware that requires proprietary firmware (TV cards etc)
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Swabbie » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:30 am

dandnsmith wrote:It might be a setup problem, drivers, or just a lack of support for your particular hardware

I looked up and it says that the hardware is supported and it also says it is in the certified systems for the HP Pavilion 15 and I have the 17 which could be part of the problem.
Swabbie

Postby nelz » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:33 am

Alex01UK wrote:01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS880M [Mobility Radeon HD 4225/4250]
Kernel driver in use: radeon

You are using the radeon open source driver. The proprietary drivers often give more features/performance. According to http://support.amd.com/en-us/download you need the Catalyst driver, which can be downloaded from there if it in not in your package manager.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:30 am

The Catalyst (fglrx) drivers also give you smoother hi-res video.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Serious Question

Postby Swabbie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:32 pm

Not knowing how to do many of these things being a new convert to Linux this was a serious question.

nelz wrote:
Swabbie wrote:And that will help me find the proper drivers in Linux?

How can knowing the chipset not help with finding drivers?
Swabbie

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:53 pm

But you need to know the make of graphics card to install the right drivers in Windows as well.
While a lot of hardware "just works" these days in Windows and Linux, graphics cards usually need proprietary drivers supplied by the manufacturer to get the best results.
(They may have been pre-installed by HP on your laptop)

Either way, without knowing what graphics card is in your laptop, there is not much more we can do to help you.

The instructions I gave will work with Ubuntu 14.04 (the lens is the round thing in the top left hand corner). They should help you install Nvidia or AMD drivers.

Edit: just searched on HP.com, your laptop has the AMD Radeon chipset.

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Swabbie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:46 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:Either way, without knowing what graphics card is in your laptop, there is not much more we can do to help you.

The instructions I gave will work with Ubuntu 14.04 (the lens is the round thing in the top left hand corner). They should help you install Nvidia or AMD drivers.

Edit: just searched on HP.com, your laptop has the AMD Radeon chipset.

I do not know if this was meant for me as I did not see you quote any part but assumed it was not since it followed Alex01UK and I thought it was in response to his posting.

As for mine I researched and I have AMD A-8 6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 and as I indicated in an earlier post it is supported in the 15 model of this laptop but no mention of the 17. And to reiterate I still have no option to install alongside so I cannot dual boot although that might be a topic for a different post. So far what I have found is that I may have to manually do things to get it to dual boot and then possibly install the update I found for drivers and that will fix the resolution problem. I wanted to find a solution to the resolution issue before I set things up to dual boot.
Swabbie

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:18 am

Actually, it was meant to be in response to both, as it works for both.
Installing the additional drivers also installs the AMD Catalyst control centre which works in a very similar way on Linux and Windows.

The dual boot problem is probably a Windows 8.1 issue, as previous versions of windows are easier to dual boot with.

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Swabbie » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:45 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:Either way, without knowing what graphics card is in your laptop, there is not much more we can do to help you.

Actually knowing the graphics card may be a big part of the problem as when I go to look for additional drivers it says that the card is not identified.
Swabbie

Return to Help!