Cannot view photos via XBMC

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Cannot view photos via XBMC

Postby GeordieJedi » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:34 pm

Hi all.

I have an unusual/annoying issue. I cannot view a lot of my photos on my Ras Pi (when trying via XBMC).

I can view some photos, but not others. TBF they are contained quite a few levels down (dirs / sub dirs).
The only common factor seems to be the size.

Some of my smaller sized photos (approx 3 MB) seem to be able to be viewed fine.
However a large No of my photos taken with my newer camera can be quite a bit larger than that (5-8 MB+)
Once I reach 5 MB, I seem to lose the ability to view these photos.

So is there a hard limit on the file size of the photos that I'm able to view using (either the Ras Pi and or via XBMC) ?

Useful info -
Raspberry Pi (model B - 256 MB of ram)
NAS = Synology DS410J

TIA for any help or advice.
GeordieJedi
LXF regular

Postby dandnsmith » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:40 am

OK, so you have an early RPi, but which distro are you running?
The first thing which would be asked for in a case like this would be debug logs to examine for clues (probably a lack of memory, as a guess) - none of my pics are that large (by choice).
I'd be suggesting an appropriate forum had you given the distro (eg stmlabs for raspbmc)
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby purplepenguin » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:11 am

I tried running Rasbmc for a while on a model B with 512 ram and found the whole experience very frustrating. I had similar issues with photos. Mine took ages to load but I could view them eventually. Does XBMC cache photos in advance or on the fly?) Personally I don't think the PI is up to running something like XBMC.
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby dandnsmith » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:14 am

I have yet to see complaints about pic display in the raspbmc forum - it doesn't give me problems, but then I use small pic sizes compared to some of yours. Its also possible that not many users want static pic display, as most of the problems relate to videos or music.
I think any caching is done on-the-fly.
Are your pics local to the Pi, or are you accessing them across a network (especially wireless)?
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Return to Help!