Grub Customizer - For Customising Default Grub Menu Entries

Share your how-tos and guides with other users

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Grub Customizer - For Customising Default Grub Menu Entries

Postby hilly » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:51 am

I am not sure how many of you have an interest but I know I am pretty happy after having just installed and used "Grub Customizer", I have spelt the title with the "z" just the way the author did even though it goes against every bone in my body.

This does a great job amongst a bundle of odds and sods, of moving grub entries up and down the list all within a graphical interface for those of you who just want something very straightforward and easy. I had recently installed Ubuntu onto a Notebook I have which runs Windows 7 which it will continue to do until Toshiba or the card makers provide a Linux driver for the TV card in the notebook. I still prefer to run Windows as my default OS on the Notebook but of course when an initial install is done to dual boot you always end up with the Ubuntu entry as the default. As the Notebook is utilised a lot to run the TV card and for a couple of other Windows programs that will not run on Linux (even in Virtualbox - a lot of issues) for a lot of the times when it is used, I currently prefer the Windows entry to be the default. Grub Customizer is great in my opinion for doing it and very easily. Of course it can be used to put whatever entries, wherever you want them in the menu listings. Worth a look.
This link will take you to an article with PPA details...
http://askubuntu.com/questions/100232/h ... boot-order
Phil
Perth - Western Australia
hilly

Postby ChrisThornett » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:24 pm

Handy tool - thanks. Everyone mentions how to change the default OS to boot but not how to shuffle entries about. I assume you can do this by moving the BEGIN and END entries around in /etc/default/grub.cfg? Or that might just break it...
ChrisThornett
Site admin

Postby nelz » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:49 am

If you mean /boot/grub/grub.cfg, yes you can move the menuentry sections around to change the order, but they will revert the next time grub-mkconfig is run :(
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Hints and tips