rescue grub

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

rescue grub

Postby cbuffer » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:34 am

I recently re-organised partitions and ended up at rescue grub on rebooting.

I have changed the fstab to accord with Gparted reports on the partitions and changed the /dev/sdaX and (hd0,msdosX) values in the boot config file.
But when re-booting I still have to set prefix and root to the correct (hd0.X) values. All the examples of grub building shew "for example (hd0,msdosX)"

Since I no longer have an MS partition and boot is in the linux / directory should I change all the (hd0,msdosX) points in the config file to (hd0,X)?

It seems the obvious solution but I hesitate in case grub is somehow tied up with msdos.

TIA Ken
cbuffer

Postby johnhudson » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:04 pm

Grub is not tied up with msdos; if you
Code: Select all
info grub2
you will find that hdX refers to the hard drive (starting from 0) and msdosX refers to the partition (starting from 1) where msdos1-4 are primary partitions and msdos5 the extended partition.

Note that (hdX,msdosX) must be enclosed in parentheses.

Check that your grub scripts are correct - presumably, if grub is launching rescue, something must be wrong.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby roseway » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:32 am

This was written some time back now, but still provides a lot of detailed information on using Grub2: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html
Eric
roseway
LXF regular

Postby cbuffer » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:49 pm

roseway wrote:This was written some time back now, but still provides a lot of detailed information on using Grub2: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html

After spending a few hours with that and trying to set up a new boot partition I now get 1234F: after booting. All the refs I can find need to use a usb connection which I don't have - part of the reason I'm in this mess. Any idea how I can get my bios repaired to enable usb booting! Samsung tech help don't respond.

Ken
cbuffer

Postby cbuffer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:48 am

Any idea how I can get my bios repaired to enable usb booting! Samsung tech help don't respond.

Spoke too soon. Samsung are on to it.

Ken
cbuffer

Return to Help!