Forcing permission changes

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Forcing permission changes

Postby cbuffer » Mon May 12, 2014 12:51 pm

I produce a bi-monthly newsletter which goes to a charity printers. They have recently upped there security and want me to provide the file as a .pdf.
I use chmod to give others rwx permissions. When I copy the file to a memory stick the permission reverts to read only. If I su to root and change the permissions with
chmod -v 777 /media/cbuffer/"New Volume"/finalPDF.pdf
I get
mode of `/media/cbuffer/New Volume/finalPDF.pdf' changed from 0644 (rw-r--r--) to 0777 (rwxrwxrwx)
but the file still shews group and others only have read permission. The printers can't use the file.
Can anyone help please? I've tried dd instead of "click and move to new site" but the same thing happens.

TIA Ken
cbuffer

Postby Dutch_Master » Mon May 12, 2014 1:42 pm

Reformat the stick to FAT, then copy it. FAT doesn't have the security features Linux has, but it also means the permissions system doesn't work :)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon May 12, 2014 2:08 pm

Which filesystem are you using on the stick?

Why on earth do the printers need write access to the PDF file on the stick? Surely it would make sense for them to copy it to their systems and do whatever needs doing with their copy.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby cbuffer » Tue May 13, 2014 3:59 pm

I use SanDisk which have U3 system as purchased. It could be the problem but I know little about it.

The printers are a charity group which own a far from new machine which they use for printing parish magazines, fliers etc. using handicapped people for feeding, folding and stapling. Everything is controlled by Microsoft software and I was under pressure to use Publisher. Am not prepared to waste time learning MS stuff when I can already use Scribus and pdfsam. I would expect them to be able to save the file and then cut it up to suite their process but apparently not. A friend with a Mac receives a copy and reduces it to a few hundred Kb for posting on our website and he has no problem but he's using a unix-like systerm of course and I send it to him via email. The printers wont accept it by email - some thing to do with their security set-up; no I don't understand that either!

Will try formatting a disk - thanks for your inputs,

Ken
cbuffer

Postby nelz » Tue May 13, 2014 4:04 pm

AFAIR Sandisk U3 drives use FAT anyway, but reformatting won't hurt and it will give you some extra space by getting rid of the stuff Sandisk put on there.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!