TV Tuner in Toshiba Satellite P870 - Yuan MC782ML/PD782S

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

TV Tuner in Toshiba Satellite P870 - Yuan MC782ML/PD782S

Postby hilly » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:24 pm

I purchased a Toshiba Satellite P870 PSPLBA-02700S which is a 17" Notebook which includes an inbuilt TV Tuner and comes supplied with WIndows 7 64 bit installed. The TV Tuner (Yuan MC782ML-PD782S) does work in Windows 7 and from what I have read now also works with Windows 8 but didn't even do that until relatively recently. I contacted Yuan in past couple of days and they have replied saying they do not produce a Linux driver for this Tuner.

I am running Ubuntu on my Notebook but at this point in time only as a Dual Boot Notebook owing to trouble in getting TV Tuner to work in Linux. Does anyone know of a workaround please. I have found the notebook seems to work very well with Ubuntu in all other aspects but the Tuner and much prefer Kaffeine to Microsoft's offering of Media Centre. I do not like running Windows OS as I have been using Linux since 2003 and would much prefer to have a totally Linux setup.

Any help would be much appreciated.

...Phil
Phil
Perth - Western Australia
hilly

Postby oldpenguin » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:15 am

Don't know the current state of these projects:

1) XawTV - might support alternate turners

2) tvtime - might support alternate turners, also.
oldpenguin

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:44 pm

The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby purplepenguin » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:08 pm

Could you use the Windows driver is Wine? Or could you use the TV tuner in a Win VM?
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby hilly » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:34 am

Thank you for responses fellow Penguins and Coyote :-) I am just in the process of endeavouring to try messing about with the Windows driver to see if I can do anything with it and if I do have any success I will post back here so that others will know. Judging by lack of anyone else showing success to date I don't hold out a lot of hope.

On the idea of using Win VM - alas no it didn't work. That was one of my early trys - anything to enable me to get rid of the dual boot option - it annoys the heck out of me.

I haven't looked at XawTV etc just yet but will do so and see if there is any luck. I will definitely give that other Yuan driver a go although again not really confident going by the response I got from Yuan themselves. They just don't seem to care.

As for Toshiba - don't think I will be anymore of there PC related products. Support is in name only unless $$$ change hands from what I can see. Can't even find a link to email them without paying first?

Thanks guys for the pointers - much appreciated. As I said above if I have any luck with anything I will post results.
Phil
Perth - Western Australia
hilly

Postby dandnsmith » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:29 am

I'm totally ignorant about these tuner topics, but see TVHeadEnd mentioned often in RaspBerry Pi and XBMC circles.
A quick look might tell you more of use.
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Return to Hardware