BT Sport - Silverlight and Android

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

BT Sport - Silverlight and Android

Postby nordle » Thu May 09, 2013 8:50 pm

Every timea sport gets sold from free to view TV, I miss out.
BSB, WSB, F1 and now MotoGP.
I don't have Sky so now pick through the highlights crumbs. Of course, this is my choice, I could pay for Sky or Eurosport and carry on.

But this time I thought I was actually on the winning side. MotoGP is moving to BT next year. BT Sport is being made available to all BT Broadband customers (over a certain value I think, which BT Infinity includes).

YAY! :)

Except its on Silverlight or Android. Great.

Is there anyway I can get Android apps, or Silverlight, to work on MythTV / Ubuntu?

Looks like there is, Moonlight. YAY again :)

In December 2011 Miguel de Icaza announced that work on Moonlight had stopped with no future plans.

:(

I could buy a copy of Windows and either install it, or VirtualBox it. But that seems excessive (although less than Sky). Any better solutions?
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Thu May 09, 2013 9:54 pm

Instead of running M$ in a virtual machine, build Android ;) (you can, Google makes the source available, and as you claim to be a compiler... ;))
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu May 09, 2013 10:03 pm

There's netflix-desktop for Ubuntu, which uses Windows Firefox running in fullscreen mode on a modified Wine to view Netflix with Silverlight. It may work with BT Sport too.

As a non-BT subscriber, it looks like I'll have to start paying for my MotoGP fix from next year. Apart from EastEnders and Strictly, what does the licence fee pay for these days? :(
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Marrea » Fri May 10, 2013 4:34 pm

nelz wrote:As a non-BT subscriber, it looks like I'll have to start paying for my MotoGP fix from next year.

I’ve seen £15 a month mentioned. No idea whether that will prove to be the case or not but £36 is already going out of our house each month to Sky and even though we are great motorcycle fans there comes a time when you have to say enough is enough. You can’t just keep on spending another £10 a month on this and another £10 a month on that.

No more MotoGP, no more Jules, Toby and Spalding. How long before no more WSBK either. :(
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Mon May 13, 2013 12:00 am

Just when MotoGP was getting interesting again. Looks like a lot of people will turn off.

The netflix-desktop solution looks great, not sure how you point it to other sources etc

Some other posts have indicated that the Eurosport player won't work because they use some extra DRM that only Microsoft are made aware of, so Silverlight can work. But other apps are not privvy.

It's not surprising that sites which stream tv illegally are more and more popular. :roll:
nordle
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Mon May 13, 2013 1:13 am

Marrea wrote:
No more MotoGP, no more Jules, Toby and Spalding. How long before no more WSBK either. :(

Eurosport have it for 2015.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Upgraded Silverlight in the netflix-desktop app for BT Sport

Postby dombov » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:18 am

But the damned thing still won't work... comes up saying VC010 which is that I have too many streams running already. Which isn't true as I haven't got any streams running at all...

Anyone had any success? I installed the netflix-desktop bundle OK, and then BT Sport told me I needed a newer version of Silverlight which I again updated and still not getting anywhere.

Running Mint 15 Cinnamon.
Dom
dombov

Postby nordle » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:52 pm

God clearly does not want me to get fit. Instead my path to junk food in front of sport appears clear now :)

BTSport is working on Ubuntu 12.04 and it was fairly straightforward.

rm ~/.wine-pipelight* -R

sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:mqchael/pipelight
sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:ehoover/compholio

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pipelight/stable
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install pipelight

sudo pipelight-plugin --disable silverlight --disable silverlight5.1 --enable silverlight5.0

CHROME
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... pkjnoahfmg

Add this:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:23.0) Gecko/20131011 Firefox/23.0

Test:
http://www.iis.net/media/experiencesmoothstreaming

Watched my first NBA game in years and quietly hopeful that the MotoGP season will be ok too. Not to mention being able to watch races on phone having ridden to a beach if this summer is anything like last.

Hurrah for OSS :)
nordle
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:51 pm

I've just written a piece on this for LXF182. Why are you using Silverlight 5.0 and not 5.1? Is that a BT Sport thing? I tested with Netflix and all works as it should, on various distros, but I can't test with BT Sport as there is no way for me to subscribe. I don't have Sky or cable and I cannot get an online sub because I use another ISP, which seems more than a little anti-competitive.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby dombov » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:43 pm

Hi nordle - thanks! I too had come across that fix and it does indeed work. Completely forgot I had posted the comment here.

Apparently, the version issue with silverlight is due to the way that BT Sport works.

Sky's NowTV still doesn't work though with this workaround (or at least I haven't been able to make it work) and so I end up having to dig out a windoze machine, which is inconvenient and silly.

What needs to happen is these big media companies need to start seeing the light and making this type of service work with Linux, as all they are doing is driving people who are prepared to pay to use their service towards illegal streaming sites, which is daft.

Cheers.
Dom
dombov

Postby nordle » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:26 pm

nelz wrote:I've just written a piece on this for LXF182. Why are you using Silverlight 5.0 and not 5.1? Is that a BT Sport thing? I tested with Netflix and all works as it should, on various distros, but I can't test with BT Sport as there is no way for me to subscribe. I don't have Sky or cable and I cannot get an online sub because I use another ISP, which seems more than a little anti-competitive.

Yeah, as dombov said, it's BTSport insisting on an older version to work.

Don't suppose your article included anything on Eurosports app?
I'm still tempted because of BSB which I still enjoy more than WSB or MotoGP. Eurosport was good value, £35 for a year, any device. BTSport leaves a bad taste, using one product to leaver another. But as a BT customer already, I have got further in bed with the devil rather than make some sort of consumer stand and bitten my nose off.

One other thing I've noticed, as an Infiinity customer I automatically appear to get BTsport HD, unlike my parents who are using the same software but get BTSport SD over ADSL.
While HD results in a decent picture, I'm quite likely going to have to pay to upgrade my broadband package due to the increase in usage hitting my monthly limits. Which again, they must have factored in to their calculations and how much money they'd throw at procuring the rights.

It will be very interesting to see what happens to the relationship between the public and MotoGP after this. A sport which once commanded the front pages of national newspapers is, in this country at least, slowly fading to obscurity (at a time when we have the most number of Brits competing in over 20years).

2013 was pretty special, Marquez making history on his arrival and ruffling feathers much like Marco Simoncelli did and Rossi before him. Rossi winning again in Assen marked a fantastic summer, it was as if the world was screaming in unison for him to cross the line P1. Certainly had this 16st lump leaking from his eyes a bit.

Fingers crossed 2014 has it's own story to shout about.

A bit OT :)

The pessimist in me thinks I might be posting back to this thread at some point this year with a "HELP BTSport have broken pipelight!!".
nordle
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:19 am

nordle wrote:Yeah, as dombov said, it's BTSport insisting on an older version to work.

I see, I'll send through an amendment to the copy.

Code: Select all
Don't suppose your article included anything on Eurosports app?

It is more a general tutorial in installing and using Pipelight, with the main example being Netflix (it is in international mag).
nelz
Site admin

Postby Alex01UK » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:58 am

Just pay the money; it's really not that expensive! I'm an F1 head, so last season I subscribed to the cheapest package with Sky I could get, that included the F1 channel. So, I get Sky Entertainments, and all the Sky Sports channels. It's £32 a month, which is really not that expensive. £8 a week is not going to break the bank, and you can charge people when they come round! Say Alex, can we watch the football at yours this weekend, and I'm like, I'm not into football at all, so I won't be watching it, but if you all chip in and give me £2 each, I will consider it. And coffee is £1 a cup too!

With the standard Sky+ box you can record 2 channels at the same time, and using the electronic program guide, you can select to record a program, or the complete series on the hard drive, which is really good, and you can pause live tv.

I think it's worth it just for the F1 channel. Even when the BBC have the live practise sessions, they are not live! I confirmed this when I used to watch it on 301, with the live timing on the internet at F1.com. The 'live' BBC coverage starts just after it has finished in real life which is no good at all. And you get loads of F1 product, documentaries about people in F1, classic races from the past, live press coverages, all sorts.

Plus I get about 300 other channels. I tend to watch mostly F1, Sky Arts 1, Sky Arts 2 and MTV for the Geordie girls, and the Welsh girls; I love the sound of their accents! ;)
Chrome OS: Samsung ARM Series 3 Chromebook, 32bit ARM Ubuntu 12.o4 HFCE.
64bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit Ubuntu Studio 14.o4, 32bit Mint 17 MATE.

''I am what I am, because we are what we are.''
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:55 pm

Alex01UK wrote:Just pay the money; it's really not that expensive!

£384 on top of your license fee each year seems a lot to me.

That's 3,500 miles fuel in my bike, or a new set of tyres + brake pads.

I already have BT Fibre, so get BTSport within the package I'm already paying. If it was another payment I'd probably not do it.

If I get confirmation that Eurosport works over Linux, I might pay for that as it's £35 a year IIRC.

I guess we all prioritise where our money goes.

Although I am really enjoying watching the NBA again for the first time in 15 years :)
nordle
LXF regular

Re: BT Sport - Silverlight and Android

Postby dombov » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:24 pm

Going to resurrect this thread, in light of Neil's great guide in LXF189 about making Amazon Prime work - which it does now, which is awesome, thanks Neil, as that was getting frustrating.

Was thinking this would also solve my problem with BT Sport, but sadly not. Still having to resort to a dual booting laptop to be able to use BT Sport.

Anyone managed to get that working yet? I gave up with Sky and bought their £10 box of tricks which is like a Pi, only less useful, but at least it was only £10.

Cheers,
Dom.
Dom
dombov

Return to Help!