Linux Format reprinting articles from other mags?!

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Linux Format reprinting articles from other mags?!

Postby BluePenguin » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:29 pm

Read PC Format a few weeks ago.. open Linux Format and see the same article repeated! how to set up a web server by Mayank Sarma:

PC Format: http://imgur.com/uoOkxyr

Linux Format: http://imgur.com/gbRgpMI

Same article, copies over. What is happenng with Linux Format? First the page cut, then the entire team leaves to make LV, and now old tutorials being copied from other magazines

Is this it? Is the mag on its death bed? We should know!!
BluePenguin

Postby purplepenguin » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:59 pm

Some of the contributors to LXF are freelance writers. They can submit their article to as many mags as the like and get paid each time it is printed.
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:53 am

And PC Format is in the same stable so to speak both published by Future so he did not have to shop it far ;)

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:32 am

It's not entirely unheard of for magazines in the same group to share articles, it used to happen with LXF and Maximum Linux (the latter was published in the US).
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby nelz » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:00 am

purplepenguin wrote:Some of the contributors to LXF are freelance writers. They can submit their article to as many mags as the like and get paid each time it is printed.

No we can't. When a magazine commissions an article, they get the copyright to that article. Since the article is commissioned by Future, they can then use it in as many of their magazines as they want.

The writer doesn't even have to be told that the article has been recycled.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Re: Linux Format reprinting articles from other mags?!

Postby ChrisThornett » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:13 am

BluePenguin wrote:Read PC Format a few weeks ago.. open Linux Format and see the same article repeated! how to set up a web server by Mayank Sarma:

PC Format: http://imgur.com/uoOkxyr

Linux Format: http://imgur.com/gbRgpMI

Same article, copies over. What is happenng with Linux Format? First the page cut, then the entire team leaves to make Linuxvoice, and now old tutorials being copied from other magazines

Is this it? Is the mag on its death bed? We should know!!

No, not on its death bed - we're not allowed to sleep.
ChrisThornett
Site admin

Re: Linux Format reprinting articles from other mags?!

Postby geekybodhi » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:20 am

BluePenguin wrote:Is this it? Is the mag on its death bed? We should know!!

That's a four-page tutorial in a 100-page magazine. Personally, I'd sound the death knell when I see a Windows tutorial in these pages. Until then let's cut 'em some slack, eh?
geekybodhi

Postby geekybodhi » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:24 am

purplepenguin wrote:Some of the contributors to LXF are freelance writers. They can submit their article to as many mags as the like and get paid each time it is printed.

Whoa! Dude that'd be so awesome...if it was true. See also: Self Plagiarism with respect to infringing upon a publisher’s copyright.
geekybodhi

Postby purplepenguin » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:19 am

It makes sense now its been pointed out. As a publisher you wouldn't want contributors work in your competitors mag.

I just assumed as the author you would retain the copyright.

Do you have any rights to the work once Future have paid you? Or is it then theirs to do whatever they please with it.
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:26 am

purplepenguin wrote:Do you have any rights to the work once Future have paid you? Or is it then theirs to do whatever they please with it.

It's been a long time since I read my contract, but I believe we regain copyright on the work six months after publication. I don't know how republicaton affects that date.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs