Ubuntu and mobile broadband

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby ferrari » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:29 pm

I'm not an Ubntuntu user, so those package version numbers mean nothing to me. You reported kernel versions are old, so that indicates you should probably consider upgrading the distros to current versions.
ferrari
LXF regular

Postby Rojj » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:23 pm

Hi,
Undoubtedly. If I were able to connect to the internet with lxle 12.04.3, one of the first things to be done would be to upgrade the kernel. The long-term support is oner of the main reasons I'm interested in *buntu distros.
This would enable me to spend my limited pc time actualy getting to grips with Postgresql instead of being stuck without a connection.

Solusos is based on Debian "Squeeze" and is perilously close to EOL.
The question is:
Is my inability to connect to the internet inherent in the *buntu kernel, or is it down to its associated programs?
Note that the same thing holds true in Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Zorin.
(Haven't tried Kubuntu, but don't like KDE anyway).
Regards,
Rojj
Roman pottery databases are more interesting than you might think...
Rojj

Postby Alex01UK » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:31 pm

What is your mobile broadband supplier? For what it's worth, the 3 ones are the best one to use in this country. UK ThatIs. I'm told, by my guy at the computer shop here, that this is because the first tablets that came out were Linux based, and that the 3 mobile dongles were designed with this is mind, and that's why they work!

Ran fine for me in 2o11 from March until about June / July when I signed up with talktalk, using current Ubuntu Studio 64 bit always. {ie 1o.1o Maverick Meerkat & 11.o4 Natty Narwall? Sorry I don't recall}.

Used to get 7 Mbits / sec on 3, whereas before, with madasafish.com landline I use to get 6 Mbits/s. I get 11 Mbits/sec now, on a BT Landline, cheapest broadband package you can get. Don't recall exactly what it's called, but is not very expensive. About UK £3o a month. 4o gigs a month.

And this is why I chose Ubuntu. The servers are really fast, when doing updates 24/7/366. You always get the max speed that your system is capable of. I tried Linux Mint Cinamon when it first came out, and it was ok, but the servers were really slow, when compared to Ubuntu.

hth, from Alex.
--
Alex@Armani.PM, IT Consultant / Digital Musician.
+44 7 972 641 526 - Www.Armani.PM ;) 8) %)
www.facebook.com/Alex.Armani.01.UK
tB.xx
Chrome OS: Samsung ARM Series 3 Chromebook, 32bit ARM Ubuntu 12.o4 HFCE.
64bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit Ubuntu Studio 14.o4, 32bit Mint 17 MATE.

''I am what I am, because we are what we are.''
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby Rojj » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:59 pm

Hi All,
Thanks for your comments.
Have given up on *buntu and am trying to install Debian.
Now where did I put that screwdriver...
Regards,
Rojj
Rojj

Postby Rojj » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:07 pm

Hello again,
Now up and running with Debian Wheezy.
Had some problems with Grub not installing - found some instructions which have fixed the problem.
If anybody is in the same boat, let me know and I will post the link.
You will need to reinstall software sources though - you end up with only the installation media recognised!
Now to install ClamAv for my Windows friends.
TTFN,
Rojj
Rojj

Previous

Return to Help!