The OSI Model

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

The OSI Model

Postby RyanF109 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:27 pm

I'm currently writing a series on the OSI Model on my Linux blog. Any feedback (or criticism) would be welcomed.

http://www.linuxstudent.com/the-osi-model/
RyanF109

Postby TonyLB » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:04 pm

Interesting, but AFAIK this model is not actually used. In practice there are I think only 4 layers handled, the 'Internet Reference Model' which has Application/Transport/Internet/Link.

See for example the Tanenbaum book on Computer Networks.
In the beginning was nothing, which exploded! (Lords and Ladies, Terry Pratchett)
TonyLB
LXF regular

Postby guy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:40 pm

I do find it confusing that you describe your model as an explanation of the OSI model and then go on to explain that it is different.

There are many layered models for traffic over different kinds of network and several in common use on the Internet. None of these uses the OSI model, and the most common (TCP/IP) breaks it quite significantly - almost as much as your Lego model does.

The OSI model is a theoretical stack of seven specific layers which may be used as a reference to compare and clarify differences in the other models.

Rather, I would see your discussion as a basic introduction to layered networking in general rather than specifically to the OSI model.

Also, the user data en bloc is not really a network layer. For example the OSI top layer stops at ensuring correct delivery and maybe reassembly to the right logical recipient, it has no concept of what James actually cut up. so really, you have produced a four-layer network model.

But I do like your approach.

HTH
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby RyanF109 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:35 pm

guy wrote:I do find it confusing that you describe your model as an explanation of the OSI model and then go on to explain that it is different.

Thanks for the feedback guys. The reason for this confusion was a permalink error in wordpress. It should now act correctly and link you to the correct place.

For reasons that I won't go into, I've based it around Higher/Adv Higher Computing which covers the OSI Model, hence why I wrote about it.
RyanF109

Return to Discussion