Whatever happened to Space Invaders.

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Whatever happened to Space Invaders.

Postby Bazza » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:59 pm

Last Sunday, 07-07-2013, myself and 3 others went to the Silicon Dreams antique computer fair at Snibston Museum in Coalville Leicestershire, UK.

There were many machines including coin slot Arcade games units.

None had Space Invaders but plenty of other oldies.

There were dedicated small consoles that were runnuing the early 70s Tennis. The strange thing is the kids were queu(e)ing to play these oh so simple Tennis games! Talk about addictive.

There could be a market for OSS versions of both just like they were in the Arcade days but using todays HW...

Just a thought.

BTW, AMIGA fanatics, AmigaKit.com were there with OS 4.1 in full bloom - nice.

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:39 pm

johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:43 pm

there's loads of space invaders games for android and galaxians too :D
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby guy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:18 pm

1slipperyfish (troll) wrote:there's loads of space invaders games for android and galaxians too :D

How does galaxians compare with android? I haven't seen galaxians OS in action. :wink:
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:43 pm

It's ok but after a few minutes desktop icons start descending and trying to destroy your cursor :-D

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby heiowge » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:25 pm

You know what game I miss?

That side scrolling space game. I have no idea what it's called, but I can describe it.

You had a single ship that could fly left or right facing and could move up or down. It fired a single laser (one pixel high and to the edge of the screen in width) and I think it had bombs and a hyperspeed or teleport or something. I remember it was cool to ramp up the speed to uncontrolable and smash into something. :lol:

If anyone knows what its called, or even better, if theres a linux version, that;d be great.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby pastychomper » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:09 am

Hmm, that sounds like Defender to me. I spent a fair few hours with the Spectrum version back in the day.

There's a Wikipedia page at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_(video_game) - sorry I can't get the link to work for some reason, the bit in brackets is part of the url.

My own favourite was Deluxe Galaga, a particularly well-made top-down scroller for the Amiga, but I've never found a faithful reproduction for Linux. Probably just as well! :lol:
pastychomper

Postby 1slipperyfish » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:16 am

yeah it was defender it was a classic, you could either shoot the space ships or bomb stuff on the ground (so i've been told as i'm only 32 it was before my time:D)
paul

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Re: Whatever happened to Space Invaders.

Postby Nuke » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:34 pm

Bazza wrote:Last Sunday, 07-07-2013, myself and 3 others went to the Silicon Dreams antique computer fair at Snibston Museum in Coalville Leicestershire, UK.

Coalville ! One of the serious contenders for the most unfortunately named place in the UK (some others are Worksop, Workington, Ae and Sidcup).

Anyway, I was once looking for a place in Coalville. This was some years ago and before satnavs, and I had directions "from the town centre". I was driving along a long dreary and dead straight road with houses and a scattering of small shops and other non-descript premises. The only person around was a middle-aged lady on the pavement and I stopped to ask her the way.

Turned out (from her heavy accent) that she was German. Leaving aside the question of what had drawn a middle aged German woman to Coalville, I asked her where the town centre was.

"Town centre of Leicester?" she said.

"No, town centre of Coalville."

She sort of pivoted around, held up and arm, and replied :-

"This is the center of Coalville!"
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:55 am

Go fill your boots.

"http://www.atari.com/arcade#!/arcade/atari-promo"

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby Alex01UK » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:22 pm

The pub next door to where I live (where they hold the local LUG meets} has one of those tables that has space invaders built in! Infortunately it doesn't work, so if there's any electronics engineers in the area.....

--
Benjamin ''OBI-WAN'' Kenobi,
www.newmatrixism.com
tB.xx
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby Alex01UK » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:42 pm

[quote="heiowge"]You know what game I miss?

It was called ''Rocket Raid'' on the BBC Micro. My Dad's still got his set up in the spare room and it still works! Might have to have a go next time I visit!
Chrome OS: Samsung ARM Series 3 Chromebook, 32bit ARM Ubuntu 12.o4 HFCE.
64bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit Ubuntu Studio 14.o4, 32bit Mint 17 MATE.

''I am what I am, because we are what we are.''
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:30 pm

Alex01UK wrote:The pub next door to where I live (where they hold the local LUG meets} has one of those tables that has space invaders built in! Infortunately it doesn't work, so if there's any electronics engineers in the area.....

--
Benjamin ''OBI-WAN'' Kenobi,
www.newmatrixism.com
tB.xx

So which LUG and what Pub ?

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:33 pm

Alex01UK wrote:It was called ''Rocket Raid'' on the BBC Micro.

Thats similar but the ship is wrong. The one I remember is more like a side view of a BSG Colonial viper.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby Alex01UK » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:21 am

So which LUG and what Pub ?

The Valley, in Scarborough. It's not a very active LUG, but when they have meets, this is the venue they use. Decent pub too!
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Next

Return to Off Topic