LXF Issues 1-65 not in archive?

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

LXF Issues 1-65 not in archive?

Postby Slartibartfast » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:32 am

Hi,

I've hunted about and can't find any reference to my question. Apologies if it has been previously covered.

Why does the LXF archive only go back as far as issue 66 - Firefox Take Back The Web? I'd love to see the earlier issues, issue 1 in particular.

Cheers
Slartibartfast
Slartibartfast

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi,

It's a combination of things. Most notably, the early LXF issues don't exist as PDFs, but just as ancient Quark files. When I was at LXF Towers, trying to get the old Quark versions running on old computers and finding the old fonts etc. was a colossal process. I always hoped to add some earlier issues, but there were always more pressing things to do!

Still, we managed to dig out the text from some early articles for TuxRadar, like the distro roundup I did in issue 1 (them were't days):

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/archive ... stros-2000

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:47 pm

Hang on a minute, I'm just going over to my magazine stacks to give issues 0-65 of LXF an affectionate pat on their spines...

... there we go, done. My fingers look a little dusty now though. :?

:D
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby towy71 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:09 am

Rhakios wrote:Hang on a minute, I'm just going over to my magazine stacks to give issues 0-65 of LXF an affectionate pat on their spines...

Sad the things we do ;-)
Do you have Linux Answers too and all the CD/DVDs?
Gawd knows what will happen if I have to downsize :roll: :lol: :?
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Dutch_Master » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:19 am

Well, there are a fair number of subscribers who may still have these issues (I have 8 of the pre-66 crop) so in order to fill the void, what if these readers scan one issue (but not all the same one :P), then send the resulting scans to Mike, who then processes these (scripting!) into a PDF for that issue. Question then is, do you want to scan the entire issue, with all ads, or only the articles (so w/o the ads). The latter saves time, the former is the most complete for archivist purposes.

That is, if Mike has time to spend on this, of course... :lol: (and is willing to spend it on this matter!) Alternatively, perhaps Future themselves can pick this up (hint!)

Just a tuppence... :roll:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:45 am

towy71 wrote:
Rhakios wrote:Hang on a minute, I'm just going over to my magazine stacks to give issues 0-65 of LXF an affectionate pat on their spines...

Sad the things we do ;-)
Do you have Linux Answers too and all the CD/DVDs?
Gawd knows what will happen if I have to downsize :roll: :lol: :?

I count Linux Answers as the zeroth issue, so yes and indeed, yes to all the CD/DVDs, as far as I know.

As for DM's suggestion, scanning magazines with glued spines is always a problem as, on a flatbed scanner, the pages don't open up fully unless you break the spine. I can't afford one of those posh multi-page document scanners, or even a wand scanner these days. :(
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

What next?

Postby Slartibartfast » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:05 pm

M-Saunders wrote:Hi,

It's a combination of things. Most notably, the early LXF issues don't exist as PDFs, but just as ancient Quark files. When I was at LXF Towers, trying to get the old Quark versions running on old computers and finding the old fonts etc. was a colossal process. I always hoped to add some earlier issues, but there were always more pressing things to do!

Still, we managed to dig out the text from some early articles for TuxRadar, like the distro roundup I did in issue 1 (them were't days):

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/archive ... stros-2000

M

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Would it be possible to get my hands on the crusty old Quark files? I would like to try to get them into pdf format.

Cheers
Slartibartfast
Slartibartfast

Re: What next?

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:48 am

Slartibartfast wrote:Thanks for the reply. Would it be possible to get my hands on the crusty old Quark files? I would like to try to get them into pdf format.

They're stored on old archive CDs, and even if you could get the right version of Quark running on an old Mac (or Mac OS 9 in an emulator) you'd need the images linked to in the documents, the original fonts (otherwise the layout would be messed up), and so forth. And then there are copyright issues with the old fonts, content etc.

So thanks for offering to help, but I just don't think it's doable now! Still, I'm not an Official LXF Team Member(tm), so maybe another solution will come up.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs