The cloud, an easy way out? Maybe, or not...

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby Ram » Thu May 30, 2013 12:36 pm

guy wrote:
Ram wrote:Cloud is a buzz word for the internet as far as I'm concerned.

Ah, that explains a lot. Some of us old pro's adopted the word to describe a networked system architecture where the software platforms are independent of the underlying hardware. Virtualization is a key ingredient, with software defined networking (think of it as virtual networks) fast becoming equally essential.

Most of the Internet is not at all like that - at least, not yet. For example, note how some long-established Internet companies like Amazon and Google are getting very excited about the cloud revolution. One can hardly maintain that the revolutionary new thing, the cloud, is the same as the clunky old thing, the Internet.

If I saw a NAS with "cloud" in its sales blurb, I would expect specifically that I could create distinct storage areas for different users and expand these by striping across additional NAS units as capacity requirements rose, in other words the client-visible storage space is wholly independent of the individual hardware units. Furthermore, I would expect it to be a lot smarter, more automated and inherently secure than the old logical volume management (LVM). If your NAS doesn't do all that, then IMHO it does not offer a "personal cloud". And if it does but you aren't using it that way, then you are still not using the cloud, never mind relying on it.

You can according to the blurb - Just add another NAS and configure it. I've not tried it, only have the one.

guy wrote:
Similarly if a printer offers "cloud services" I would expect that to mean that it will communicate seamlessly with and print directly from say my Google Drive using Google Cloud Print (see for example Google's current list of cloud-ready printers). I would not regard printing say a Google Map from my web browser as meeting that definition.

I have one of the printers listed by google so could print a doc while having a coffee in town - I have eprint disabled though have tested it from my phone on my network.

guy wrote:
Ask the manufacturer and they will probably say that their device should be placed behind a properly-configured firewall - it's just that all too many folks, home users and corporate sysadmins alike, don't think about network security. If your firewall is indeed letting through spoof cloud services, just think what else it has been letting through all these years....

Buzz, grumble, rumble....

It is the self same manufacturer that haven't enable their security in the first place and hoping to hide behind our firewalls and routers.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby guy » Thu May 30, 2013 1:33 pm

Ram wrote:It is the self same manufacturer that haven't enable their security in the first place and hoping to hide behind our firewalls and routers.

Exactly so. But face it, if the manufacturers secured their devices out-of-the-box, then:
a) They would essentially be building in their own firewall, and you would have to pay for that.
b) The average punter would never get them working.
So why sell an expensive product nobody can use, when you can sell a cheap one that just works? Well, they probably sell both, but which one would sell best?

Can't blame the cloud for that.
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Thu May 30, 2013 7:08 pm

They've either disabled the setting up of a Password or haven't enabled it by default. So the protection is there.

Laziness by both parties - Vendor for not enabling by default - User for not reading the manual.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Discussion