ODF on Android

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

ODF on Android

Postby guy » Tue May 07, 2013 11:37 am

Are there any office type apps that can edit or even just import ODF files on Android? Preferably free (both meanings), of course.

I have various ODT docs, ODS spreadsheets, etc. on Dropbox and want to access them on my Nexus 7 / Jelly Bean.
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Tue May 07, 2013 7:30 pm

There are pre-release packages of LibreOffice for Android, article here with link to latest builds. It seems that due to the package size they might not be available through Google Play.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby johnhudson » Tue May 07, 2013 9:41 pm

The problem for the LibreOffice team is that they do not have sufficient developer resources to push this on. They hope to have a GSOC student but any help will be gratefully received.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby ajgreeny » Tue May 07, 2013 10:11 pm

There is an OpenDocument Reader from https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ader&hl=en and my wife's Acer Iconia has Polaris Office but I do not think it can read/write ODF documents. You could make sure documents are saved as .doc or .xls in OpenOffice and open those in Polaris Office as a workaround, though it does not do the job exactly what you want.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby guy » Wed May 08, 2013 9:26 am

Thanks all, I look forward to the LibreOffice port in due course.

Minor incompatibilities between ODF and legacy MS Office formats mean that converting to and fro is a pain - things like maths equations or footnote styling. Having firmly made the move to ODF some time ago, I now have far too many files to ever go back.

At present I can at least convert specific files to legacy Office formats for working on-the-go, that will have to do for the time being. FYI I use Kingston Office on my Nexus, being an Android app - and free at that - it is somewhat cut-down, but even so I am very impressed with it.
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Return to Help!