NAS box recommendations

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

NAS box recommendations

Postby GeordieJedi » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi all.
(Apologies if this isn't the correct place for this post, please move it if necessary).

I've just about completely run out of HDD space. I'm looking into getting a NAS box.
I was looking at this one here What do you think ?

I want to use it mainly as media storage along with my raspberry pi and XBMC.

I'd like to connect to it remotely via SSH, and eventually to my iphone and other devices
to to stream content.

Does anyone have any other recommendations ?

TIA for any help or advice.
GeordieJedi
LXF regular

Postby Paradigm Shifter » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:35 am

Honestly, I'd look at the 4-drive NAS boxes. It's the 'optimal' for space vs. data security. With a 2-drive, you've got either RAID1 or RAID0... the space of one HDD, or total data loss in the event of drive death... :(

I've had a Synology DS411j for some time now (about 18 months, I think; the last year has been a bit hectic) and it's doing grand. I am, in fact, debating getting a DS413j to act as a pure media server for family. Running Synology's take on RAID5, transfer speeds are pretty good (in both directions) although Window's stubborn insistence in forgetting the NAS password every is annoying. Linux remembers it, though, which means XBMC is OK.

I like the idea of the upgradability of a custom built NAS running FreeNAS or similar, but using 'old' kit is going to mean it draws tons of electricity, and buying new low-power kit means it'll cost a fortune.

I've had good experiences with Synology, though.
Paradigm Shifter

Postby bobthebob1234 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:23 pm

You can pick up a HP microserver for £160 (£260 + £100 cashback from hp), and I have friends who have freenas on it with a bunch of drives who are quite happy with it. Drives are the expensive bit!
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:31 pm

I have one of the HP Microservers, a nice little box, especially with 4 x 3TB drives in it :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby paulm » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:08 pm

nelz wrote:I have one of the HP Microservers, a nice little box, especially with 4 x 3TB drives in it :)

I've got 2 on customer sites, both running Slackware. I'd have one myself, only I custom built my NAS/server before I knew of their existance.....

Paul.
paulm
LXF regular

Postby Paradigm Shifter » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:43 am

I've been bitten by cashback schemes before, so I now avoid any 'good deal' that is good value because of the cashback offer. Just drop the price and have done with it!
Paradigm Shifter

Postby kgolding » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:03 pm

I'll put a vote in for a QNAP. I have a 2 drive one that I have backed up to an external USB drive using rsnapshot. QNAP's in my opinion are incredibly reliable and well supported.
kgolding

Postby dizwell » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:02 am

My experiences: http://www.dizwell.com/2013/01/21/diy-nas/

Basically another vote for the HP microservers running a Centos-based software RAID. Humming nicely with excellent uptimes and never a stutter when serving large video files.
dizwell

Postby GeordieJedi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:23 pm

OK, I think I'm erring towards the DS-413-J.

I have a couple of more questions though.

(I'm gonna start with 2 x 3TB HDDs and expand from there).

I'd like to look at RAID-5 (eventually) but I realise that I will have to start with RAID-1 to begin with.

So,

1. When you set it up a NAS can you start with RAID-1, then reconfigure to RAID-5 at a later date ?
(Once I get more drives in the in the future without having to copy the data off, reconfigure to RAID-5
then copy the data back again ?)

2. File system format - Do they matter NTFS or EXT4
I'd like to be able to share and stream my files with my PCs (dual booting Win 7 and Linux,
Raspberry Pi and with my iPhone).
I very rarely boot into Win 7 though.

Thanks for the replies and help so-far, much appreciated.
GeordieJedi
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Yes you can, but it's a bit of a faff. Basically, you fail one of the drives in the RAID1 array and remove it from the array. Then you create a degraded RAID5 array with that drive and the new one and copy the data over. Finally, you destroy the RAID1 array and add its drive to the RAID5 array and let it rebuild.

As for filesystems, if you are running Linux on the NAS, why use anything but a Linux filesystem? I'd be tempted to use ZFS on a NAS, but ext4 would be fine. Bear in mind that only the NAS itself reads the filesystem, cliets use either NFS or CIFS and neither know nor care about the on-disk format.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby GeordieJedi » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:23 pm

Brilliant !
Cheers Nelz.

I've read that some NAS boxes are a bit picky when choosing HDDs.
(something to do with the RAID wearing out the HDDs and causing
the drives to wear out very quickly ?)

Does anyone have any recommendations on particular types/brands/classes of HDDs ?

Thanks
GeordieJedi
LXF regular

Return to Help!