Installing opensuse 12.2 from LXF DVD

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Installing opensuse 12.2 from LXF DVD

Postby mikejd » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:28 pm

Has anyone managed a fully working install from the DVD?

I was running v11.4 and decided to upgrade. I am still trying to sort out access to all computers on the network and printing to a network print server. Samba wasn't installed so I have had to install and configure manually. When I installed v11.4 everything seemed to work straight away. Googling for information and tutorials has so far cost me about 2 days work.

My monitor wasn't recognised so I can only get a resolution of 1024x768 when I should be able to get 1440x900. This didn't happen with v11.4.

I wish now I hadn't bothered.

Mike
mikejd
LXF regular

Postby Bruno » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:54 pm

Hi Mike,

The problem may be that the live CD (on the mag's dvd) only has a limited selection of software and drivers due to space constraints. I usually always install openSUSE from the DVD edition. I've got it working just fine on my laptop and nettop.

11.4 was a great release, I skipped 12.1 as there was no advantage in upgrading. 12.2 is a good release, too. The accelerations in Qt 4.8 make everything zippier. Stick with it, it will pay off in the end.

What in particular do you need help with?
Bruno
LXF regular

Postby mikejd » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:05 am

Hi Bruno,

My main problem now is with Samba and my network. I am still hoping to resolve my monitor issues but I'm told this may be related to the video cable I'm using which is VGA; I have ordered a DVI-D cable and will try that.

I have tried to configure Samba; in fact I am using the smb.conf file from the other computer (which also acts as a print server). This does find the workgroup (INTEGRANET) in Dolphin and shows this computer but not the print server. When I had opensuse 11.4 installed everything worked fine. This also means I can't access the printer across the network. I have tried adding a printer and checking the network (in Yast) but nothing turns up.

For information the smb.conf file is:

Code: Select all
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from UNKNOWN (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2012/12/05 10:08:15

[global]
   workgroup = INTEGRANET
   server string = %h
   map to guest = Bad User
   passdb backend = smbpasswd
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   max log size = 50
   printcap cache time = 60
   printcap name = cups
   dns proxy = No
   idmap config * : backend = tdb

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   read only = No
   browseable = No

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   create mask = 0700
   guest ok = Yes
   printable = Yes
   print ok = Yes
   print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r # using client side printer drivers.
   use client driver = Yes
   browseable = No

[print$]
   path = /var/lib/samba/printers
   write list = @adm, root
   inherit permissions = Yes
   guest ok = Yes

[pdf-gen]
   comment = PDF Generator (only valid users)
   path = /var/tmp
   printable = Yes
   print ok = Yes
   printing = bsd
   print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf "%s" "%H" "//%L/%u" "%m" "%I" "%J" &
   lpq command = /bin/true
   lprm command = lprm -P'%p' %j

[Lin2 work]
   comment = Work files on Lin2
   path = /home/mike/Work

[Lin2 download]
   comment = Downloaded files on Lin2
   path = /home/mike/Download

[Lin2 documents]
   comment = Documents on Lin2
   path = /home/mike/Documents

Any help appreciated.

Mike
mikejd
LXF regular

Postby mikejd » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:00 pm

Moving on a bit.

I have switched off the firewall and samba and printing are now working. The firewall has been configured with allowed services of Samba Server, Samba Client, Netbios Server plus TCP and UDP ports 631 are open. And it obviously doesn't work...
mikejd
LXF regular

Postby mikejd » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:20 am

I am now becoming seriously pi**ed off with this distro. Yesterday (see above) I got everything working by disabling the firewall.

Today I switch on and none of the network or printing works. The firewall is off but I can't print, can't access the print server, in Dolphin>>Network>>Samba shares the workgroup isn't detected. I can ping the server by IP address but nothing else.

I haven't changed anything since yesterday, just logged out and switched off, now booted up and logged in.

Mike

Edit: I have now switched on a Mac laptop inside the house (I'm in an outside office) with a wifi connection. In Finder the Mac can see this computer but can't access any shared folders; it can also detect a printer on the print server (IP 192.168.1.3) but can't print to it - possibly no driver installed.
mikejd
LXF regular

Postby Bruno » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:32 pm

Obviously permanently running without a firewall is not a good idea, but if disabling the firewall solved your problems, then that is where the problem is most likely to be found. Are you sure you permanently disabled it or just disabled it for the session? The later would explain why nothing works after rebooting.

Networking isn't my strong suit but check if the firewall is running and is so, that all the necessary ports are still open in the firewall.

Incidentally, in an update I got today, there was a new version of iptables, so it may be that bugs in the previous version are contributing to your problems.
Bruno
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:46 pm

You have

browseable=no

in 2 places.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Return to Help!