Linux Mint 13 MATE - USB mouse freeze

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Linux Mint 13 MATE - USB mouse freeze

Postby Jonathanwri73 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:05 am

Hi all,

My son (7 yrs old) is running Linux Mint 13 MATE for quite sometime and loves using it for his everyday use - Kids web sites, Tux paint, games etc....

But in past month we've been finding that when using sites running Flash the mouse will suddenly freeze and become completely unresponsive.

The keyboard and the rest of the system seems perfectly functional as I've been running a terminal session in the background which i've been able to switch to and use the keyboard, load up other apps and even as far as remove the mouse from the USB port and reconnect in a different port to no avail leaving my only course of recovery is to restart the PC.

This never happened running any other prior distro's or desktops, has anyone any ideas?

/Jonathan
Jonathanwri73

Postby towy71 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:06 pm

Dead mouse? I have frequently found mouses to die in small ways over time and intermittently :cry:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Jonathanwri73 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:26 pm

I'm not sure it's the mouse itself but will try swapping out for another mouse to see.
====================
/Jonathan
Jonathanwri73

Postby Jonathanwri73 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:21 pm

Ok well tried a brand new mouse for past few days and its still freezing the pointer leaving me with no choice but to drop out to terminal and reboot.

The old mouse (Logitech USB wired 3 button mouse) has been running flawlessly on both a Mac and PC running XP.

Any clues or tips would be appreciated.
====================
/Jonathan
Jonathanwri73

Postby guy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:33 pm

Swap between USB and PS2 mice, and see whether the problem follows the device driver?

Or try the Mint 14 beta?
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby Jonathanwri73 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:45 pm

Thanks, I'm trying to find the PS2 adaptor for the mouse at the moment and will change it over in a few days time.

Whether it's relevant or not, I have removed the USB webcam cable which was the last thing to be connected to the PC recently just to see if that helps.
====================
/Jonathan
Jonathanwri73

Postby Jonathanwri73 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:17 pm

Hmm this is odd.

I was still experiencing the occassional freeze on the mouse in Linux Mint 13 Mate, so as my son previously used Lubuntu, stuck the 12.10 release on his PC which took about an hour (as I have the /home dir in a seperate partition making new distro's fairly easy as i have shell scripts to download the packages my son likes in another 20 mins ... Linux is just brill for this).

So far, since Tuesday evening no problems ... odd one

/Jonathan
====================
/Jonathan
Jonathanwri73

Postby Jonathanwri73 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:39 pm

All

Found the root if my problem, it was the USB webcam (Creative Live).

Since I've disconnected it, i have not had a problem at all. So I reconnected it this morning and within the hour the mouse hung. Disconnected the webcam and rebooted the pc and have been running fine since.

/Jonathan
====================
/Jonathan
Jonathanwri73

Return to Help!