My first experience of Windows 8

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby heiowge » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:36 pm

I went online and searched for an activation code in the Win8 official forums. They gave me one that worked without using anything illegal or paid for. It is an evaluation copy after all.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby Paradigm Shifter » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:01 pm

I tweak XP a lot to make it as fast as possible, but clean install between VM and non-VM (no drivers other than those included by Windows) non-VM feels faster to boot if you ignore the time the BIOS initialises and the POST routines run. If you include POST time, then the VM is a lot faster as my mobo POSTs quite slowly... but then it's like comparing apples to oranges; not exactly a fair comparison. :)

Some drivers really slow boot down - obviously, they won't be there on the VM, as it uses different drivers for graphics, etc. Some anti-virus programs slow boot a lot too.
Paradigm Shifter

Postby heiowge » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:33 pm

bobthebob1234 wrote:Have you enabled visualization acceleration on whatever cpu you are using? Or maybe its just cos I have an 8 core CPU and 16gb of ram. But then Win7 has access to that when it is booting not in a VM...

I have 6 cores and 14GB RAM. I normally give any virtual machine 3 cores and at least 4GB RAM. I gave win8 6GB RAM, more than I normally give win7 virtual. It was still slower booting.

And yes, I do enable all the accelerations. Always, where possible.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby el chapulín » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:02 pm

Honestly... why would you even bother...?

So windows 8 is a turd... no surprises there, we knew that... but vista/7 and older windows were also pure crap.... it's nothing new.
el chapulín

Postby heiowge » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:00 pm

You can't really spend a while bashing the crap out of it with a windows fanboy if you've never experienced just how crap it is.

One of them on google+ did the "Oh yeah? When have you tried it?" So I did. It was crap. :lol: I told him so.

heiowge
LXF regular

Postby Paradigm Shifter » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:19 pm

The question that occurs is... why?

Fanboys, pretty much by definition, aren't going to listen to reason. Just leave them to their delusions (of either direction) and do something more productive! ;)
Paradigm Shifter

Postby nelz » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:33 pm

As long as the fanboys keep using their Macs and Winboxes, they won't be bothering us on Linux forums :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Paradigm Shifter » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:11 pm

nelz wrote:As long as the fanboys keep using their Macs and Winboxes, they won't be bothering us on Linux forums :)

My point exactly! ;)

I gave up years ago trying to explain to a Mac-obsessed friend that his mantra of "Mac's don't crash" was a fallacy because, hey, that spinning rainbow wheel? When it doesn't go away for hours and hours and the system won't respond to either mouse or keyboard input? It's crashed. It might not have kernel panicked in epic style or BSOD'd... but it's still crashed.

Yet he was having none of it.

I'd actually say that most Windows fanboys are less fanboys and are more people who have either a) never used linux at all but have "read things about it" (that had negative bias), b) used it for about five minutes, found they couldn't game and gone away or c) had bad experiences of linux somehow - possibly years ago before more new-user-friendly distros became available.

There is, of course, the fourth possibility of a relatively technically-savvy user who tries linux, has a problem they can't fix themselves so go to a forum/IRC channel/newsgroup to ask for help, and get flamed for asking "stupid" questions. :(

Then again, there are fanboys of all flavours... and all equally stubborn. :)
Paradigm Shifter

Postby towy71 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:01 am

Paradigm Shifter wrote:Then again, there are fanboys of all flavours... and all equally stubborn. :)
Horses for courses.....
I'm a simple web user; Linux does most things I need and for those thing it doesn't do I use something that works however lamely :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby el chapulín » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:07 am

The very worst kind of fanbois are those which are to be found at the 'buntu forums...
el chapulín

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:45 am

Funny, I can't remember ever being flamed for asking stupid questions.
Maybe because I ask politely? and I tend to search the forum first to see if the same question has been asked 300 times, or I try to ask the question in the correct forum?

Most of the people I see getting flamed ask questions in a demanding or accusatory manner.

Sort of "Linux sucks because I can't be bothered to learn how it works HELP ME FIX MY PC NOW!"

Or "I have a problem with Fedora 15" on a Ubuntu forum....etc.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:27 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:Funny, I can't remember ever being flamed for asking stupid questions.
Maybe because I ask politely? and I tend to search the forum first to see if the same question has been asked 300 times, or I try to ask the question in the correct forum?

It seems like you don't get flamed because you don't ask stupid questions.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Bazza » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:50 pm

Hi nelz...

> As long as the fanboys keep using their Macs and Winboxes,
> they won't be bothering us on Linux forums :)

OI, mush, and what is wrong with a Mac when it uses BSD in
the middle? ;o)

The Terminal is so similar to Debian that I have tempoarily
dumped Debian. The GUI is just, plain, slick and pi$$e$ on my
Debian box for a UI...

A slick front end coupled with POSIX familiarity makes for a
suberb mix. I have already got command of the HW for my
uses and started to upload Python code _banging_ the audio
already.

;oO

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:26 pm

Two words - "walled garden".
nelz
Site admin

Postby Bazza » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:43 pm

Hi nelz...

Nah, only a walled garden if one wants it to be. This is no
different to my Debian tool except much more slick. Most
of the SW I use on my Debian tool is on here from the F(L)OSS
ether...

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular