Linuxmint 13

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Linuxmint 13

Postby towy71 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:14 pm

I have just installed mint on my little Aspire ZA3 and it is so much faster to boot than Precise Pangolin and I haven't had to play about getting anything to work. XFCE is a very nippy desktop and I like it very much.
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Rhakios » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:31 pm

Mint 13 KDE, which I have tried on my test laptop, runs quite well as well. It's certainly a lot better than the openSUSE12.2 RC I tried at the weekend.
It is interesting to note (to me anyway) that Mint KDE isn't simply a rehash of Kubuntu, but built from the original Ubuntu with KDE parts added as the Mint team want them.
I did try Kubuntu as well when it first came out. It seems to me that Mint might have benefited from longer time to release, perhaps it works better because some KDE bugs have been fixed.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby heiowge » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:33 pm

I'm using Mint 13 Cinnamon with the KDE desktop jammed on top. Do you think that Mint 13 KDE would be better, or is it not really worth a switch?
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:49 pm

I would be inclined to assume that there isn't much difference, the packages must come from the same source, but then, I don't know as I haven't tried that way of going about it.
Surely the important question is whether or not you are happy with your set up? If you are then there's not much point in going to the trouble of changing it.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Minty bit stronger

Postby Hopper » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:33 am

I was really pleased with mint kde and it worked flawlessly, with a more recent version of kde than kubuntu. I'm just trying Cinnamon right now and it's equally as good but somehow feels more intuitive and I find the font rendering in documents far superior. With the kde I find the fonts in documents are slightly less defined than in Cinnamon or other gnome based desktops. I've no idea why but perhaps its just down to my proprietary nvidia drivers
Rig from 2009: Asus P5N7A-VM Mobo with onboard NVidia Geforce 9300 graphics, 4GB Ram, E7500 Dual Core Processor,
Hopper

Postby ajgreeny » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:51 pm

I normally use Ubuntu 10.04 but have tried all the newer versions as they arrive. I also always try Mint, but have always found it to run slower than Ubuntu, version to version. Never was this more obvious than using Ubuntu 12.04 and Mint 13, the latter of which was a bit like swimming through treacle; completely useless to me.

I haven't tried any of the other DE versions of mint 13 yet but did look at Mint 12 LXDE, which was OK, but no better than Lubuntu 11.10, so I did not bother to install it on a main machine.

Ubuntu 10.04 is still the best Ubuntu so far in my opinion, but we will see what happens in the future when it loses its support.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby Debian Acolyte » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:53 pm

The apparent meaning of the post is the system declines in quality with every release. Yet you are still using an older version, hoping Ubuntu will reverse the trend and improve in the future. :shock: That is determination. :?
Debian Stable
Openbox
Debian Acolyte

Postby heiowge » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:18 am

Debian Acolyte wrote:The apparent meaning of the post is the system declines in quality with every release. Yet you are still using an older version, hoping Ubuntu will reverse the trend and improve in the future. :shock: That is determination. :?

Isn't that how most Windows users do things? :wink:
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby Debian Acolyte » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:32 am

:shock:
I thought Windows users put up with the bugs and low quality performance, because they believe Windows is the only operating system.
Debian Stable
Openbox
Debian Acolyte

Postby Ram » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:11 am

Debian Acolyte wrote:The apparent meaning of the post is the system declines in quality with every release. Yet you are still using an older version, hoping Ubuntu will reverse the trend and improve in the future. :shock: That is determination. :?

Newer doesn't always mean better and there is a old saying 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. So, I've got about 8 months before I change my disto (or DE) as I know Ubuntu wont reverse their trend.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby ajgreeny » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 am

Ram wrote:

Newer doesn't always mean better and there is a old saying 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. So, I've got about 8 months before I change my disto (or DE) as I know Ubuntu wont reverse their trend.

Likewise with me.

Xubuntu will probably be my refuge, if I stay with the Ubuntu family. But if I try something else, who knows?
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby Debian Acolyte » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:44 am

The last two posts are completely correct in regards to shiny new things. Without a doubt, newer definitely does not mean better.

I have a different mentality though. Instead of staying with the sinking ship for two or three years before moving on, I prefer to start searching early and jump ship as soon as I find something better. I am not sure if that makes me wise or impatient. :lol:
Debian Stable
Openbox
Debian Acolyte

Postby lok1950 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:11 pm

Debian Acolyte wrote:I prefer to start searching early and jump ship as soon as I find something better. I am not sure if that makes me wise or impatient.

Just makes you a live rat :wink: and in company of the rest of us rats 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Return to Discussion